how do you help a "constipated" duck ??

Thanks for all the help guys! The duck was returned to the flock this morning as she was stressing out in the box, but she's under observation. We will keep pushing the prolapsed vent back until it is sorted out. Hopefully there is no unfixable issue that caused it - we'll take her to the vet if it happens again - but are really stuck on what happened initially.
She definitely wasn't eggbound - even if she is the one duck laying at the moment I found no trace of egg or shell which clearing the vent. I couldn't find anything about fecal impaction in ducks online either.
Could it be due to a lack of calcium? They haven't had shell grits for a couple of weeks due to house/pet sitters not feeding them properly but none of the other 6 ducks have had issues (Appleyards, khaki campbells, one 18-year-old pekin). They are free range and able to forage over about quarter of an acre, fed grain pellets and kitchen scraps for veges. Has anyone seen this problem before?

I am pretty sure a prolapse comes from trying to lay and egg or laying an egg and a lot of pushing to do it. Lack of nutrients could cause it maybe so get them back on Oyster shell right away. Usually when something like this happens it doesn't effect the whole flock just one that maybe having issues we can't even see then it surfaces like a prolapse or egg binding. Ducks are so good at hiding their ailments.

I'd get her some good poultry vitamins look at the calcium content or get some calcium citrate or calcium gluconate and add to her drinking water or mixed in thawed peas for a treat and see if any help is given . Prolapses can be critical if the tissue dries out so keep it good and moist while working to get it to stay in. And make sure no other flock member messes with it.

How is your duck doing this afternoon? @IRH
Thank you for all your advice, much appreciated! There aren't a lot of duck owners where we are. As of this arvo she seems heaps better - from what we can see the vent looks completely normal and eating and drinking fine. She was out foraging all day with the rest of the flock as well. They're all still under close observation especially due to the heat (which they aren't really used to) and back on grits since last night.

Thank you for all your advice, much appreciated! There aren't a lot of duck owners where we are. As of this arvo she seems heaps better - from what we can see the vent looks completely normal and eating and drinking fine. She was out foraging all day with the rest of the flock as well. They're all still under close observation especially due to the heat (which they aren't really used to) and back on grits since last night.
What are grits? LIke what we eat for breakfast?

Back
Top Bottom