How do you remove and dispose of lice egg masses?

Eden83_haaretz

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Mexico, Puebla
Hello everyone up until today I had no idea what live egg masses were. Just realized a rooster I have (that has been loosing weight and is weak) has them. I want to remove them and dispose of them in the most effective way, what do I do???

First, have you treated your infested chickens with permethrin or spinosad, both effective and organic insecticides? Do that first, and then repeat it in about ten days to get any lice that have hatched from nits. If your rooster is weak, it may be from mites which might be a plague in the coop. It can make chickens anemic as the mites suck their blood at night. Both can occur at the same time, and you will need to spray down your coop to rid it of mites.

The nits glued to the feather shafts are like cement, and it's impossible to remove them. You have two choices. You can yank out each nit encrusted feather or you can ignore them, since all lice have been killed, until they are replaced naturally by next molt.

I have yanked nit feathers. I do it after soaking the chicken butt in warm Epsom salt water which makes the feather removal easier on both you and the chicken. Replacement feathers quickly grow in.

Coconut oil will remove lice eggs from feather shafts. You'll also want to remove all bedding from the coop and nest boxes and burn it.
Then spray inside the coop with Permethrin liquid or use Permethrin dust, your choice. Since your rooster is weak, it would be best to dust him with Permethrin dust after removing the lice eggs. Dust him again in ten days in case you missed removing any eggs that mightve hatched lice.
You can give him Poultry Nutri Drench orally using the eyedropper provided in the bottle. Give him one drop orally twice a day for no more than 7 days. It will help regain his strength.

Back
Top Bottom