how do you sell your eating eggs?

Once we have eggs, our plan is for our son to sell to the neighbors at $.25 per egg or $3/dozen. Our neighbors are excited and ask when are we getting our chickens. With 6 hens at full production, our hope is that we will have what we need for eggs by Tuesday. The balance of the week is for our son to sell. He gets to keep the money from what he sells and the neighbors get fresh eggs. A learning experience for him and everyone benefits.

Ed

Everything is more expensive in Alaska. I sell eggs to the feed store which has other Alaskan foods for sale from Yak, buffalo, milk and ice cream from in state, fresh eggs, etc. They give me $4.00 in trade on anything I buy or $3.50 cash. They turn around and sell a dozen eggs for $6.00. It's fun because the eggs offset some the the costs of providing shavings and food (which are way more costly here due to freight charges. I guess the rule of thumb would be that you sell retail (friends, farmer's market) at your own price but expect half of that if you sell wholesale to a reseller.

Get over your aversion to charging family and friends. Explain to them that chicken feed is not cheap.

I sell to two neighbors - both commercial chicken farmers - that came asking for them as soon as they realized that I had laying hens.

The rest are sold to the police dept. (my husband works for), the fire dept., and other city employees. My DH put a sign up on the city halls bulletin board.

ETA: If you have a farmers co-op in your town ask about selling them there. The manager at our co-op told me he will take any extra eggs that I don't sell elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don't sell my extras, I trade them for treats for my chickens. I know someone who gets day old bread goods: rolls, bagels, good wheat and rye, cinnamon bread etc.. They also give me lots of veggies etc. for the chooks so I give them fresh eggs. The girls are only too happy to lay eggs for treats
lol.png

OKAY HERE IS HOW WE SELL ALL OF OUR EGGS; SIGN at the driveway; farmers Market $3(now we are doing the Winters MArket);Post an add at the Post office;Hair Salon;Church Ladies
We are always selling out of eggs now. Call your local extension office and see if you can speak to them about hanging a sign.You will also need a Egg License to sell at the Maket.
Good Luck
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom