how do you sell your eating eggs?

I trade some of my eggs with a woman who raises dairy goats. 2 dozen eggs for 1 gallon of raw goats milk. I make Chevre cheese and then trade this with my massage therapist. I also trade the cheese and eggs with another woman at work who has persimmon trees. I love this! I'm looking into making more trade agreements with local small farmers for veggies this next summer.

Quote:
"Certified" organic eggs in grocery stores in Louisiana can be as high as $5.00 per dozen. Are your eggs "certified" organic eggs? Is that how you are advertising your eggs? I have about 3 customers that are vegetarian and are in to "organic" eggs. The reason that they buy my eggs because they say that I am close to organic and it gets and they want my eggs instead of store bought eggs. I do not advertise that my eggs as "organic" because my little farm is not certified as "Organic" and I would be falsely leading customers to believe that I have been certified as organic. I sell my eggs for $1.50 per dozen but my "organic" customers voluntarily give me $3.00 per dozen.

The price that you charge for your eggs will depend on your area. Every person in every state can charge a different price. There is no set price for your eggs. Some people on this site can get as much as $5.00 per dozen while others (like myself) only charges $1.50 per dozen. I live in Southern Louisiana and this is a "farming" state where everyone on every block has livestock or backyard chickens. Farm fresh eggs in my neck of the woods are not in great demand as other states. Craigslist posters post farm fresh eggs for as low as $1.00 per dozen. So if you live in Louisiana and try to sell eggs for $3.00 and $4.00 when the person on the next street is selling eggs for $1.00 per dozen, guess what? You will have a fridge full of eggs that no one wants to buy. Like I always say, farm fresh eggs are like bottled water on a shelf. They are everywhere.

So, if you think that you can sell your "organic" eggs for higher price please do so.

I have posted a link below about "Organic".

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/nop

Thanks for the link. I will def. check it out. And i am not advertising organic eggs, she asked what I fed them and I told her organic feed. She was the one that said they were organic eggs. I never mentioned it. I am happy getting $3 per dozen as I'm just looking for help with feed costs not looking to make money.

Quote:
Wow, I'm glad that this works for you in your neighborhood, but it is something I would never feel comfortable doing! I would not leave an open invitation for anyone passing by to come in my gate and enter my barn to help themselves. It's not that I live in a "bad" neighborhood, but it just seems like that's leaving yourself open to theft, vandalism, loss through negligence (leaving doors/gates open), lawsuits through injury, etc. I don't want anyone coming into my yard without my expressed permission.

But I know that many folks set up a self-service center just outside their gates, leaving the eggs & a money jar in a cooler there.

I sell my eggs for $4 a dozen and provide delivery to the customer's own doors. They will often leave their own cooler there for me, with the money inside. I will deliver to places in town that are on my way to my usual stops for errands. I prefer to go to them than to have people come to my place.

In my area, Santa Cruz, with high end markets such as Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck), organic eggs sell for about $5.00 a doz. Organic goats milk is running at $18.00/gal at the same places. That means I'm making $9.00/ doz on my eggs..... I almost feel criminal. But we a all happy with the arrangement. I tell those I trade with, they are welcome to visit my coop any time, all the gals are free range, organic fed, no antibiotics, super clean and healthy. Every hen has a name and is cuddled daily. It does the trick.

Quote:
Well, the first time somebody stops by I strike up a conversation and ask them who they are, where they live, etc. If they are local and I have a general idea of who they are I invite them to help themselves in the future, so they do have my permission. If it's just somebody passing through that lives out of the area, I get the eggs for them and let them go on their way.

It's really not a big deal for us. If I had misgivings about it I'd put an outside refrigerator up by the house.

I always just give eggs to my mom and family - my mom wants to pay but I tell her to consider the eggs a return on the investment ... for all the money she has spent over the years raising me. Plus she just does so much for me ...

I do plan on getting some more girls this year - I already have people asking to buy some eggs - and I just don't get enough eggs - but since mine are all pets - I have to be picky in choosing the girls

I didnt get chickens to make money - but I sure love the eggs in exchange for leftovers and a lil chicken feed.. lol

My DW sells them to her co-workers. I had a sign out front until it was stolen. My DW's co-workers buy them up so quickly that I don't need my sign

Quote:
"Certified" organic eggs in grocery stores in Louisiana can be as high as $5.00 per dozen. Are your eggs "certified" organic eggs? Is that how you are advertising your eggs? I have about 3 customers that are vegetarian and are in to "organic" eggs. The reason that they buy my eggs because they say that I am close to organic and it gets and they want my eggs instead of store bought eggs. I do not advertise that my eggs as "organic" because my little farm is not certified as "Organic" and I would be falsely leading customers to believe that I have been certified as organic. I sell my eggs for $1.50 per dozen but my "organic" customers voluntarily give me $3.00 per dozen.

The price that you charge for your eggs will depend on your area. Every person in every state can charge a different price. There is no set price for your eggs. Some people on this site can get as much as $5.00 per dozen while others (like myself) only charges $1.50 per dozen. I live in Southern Louisiana and this is a "farming" state where everyone on every block has livestock or backyard chickens. Farm fresh eggs in my neck of the woods are not in great demand as other states. Craigslist posters post farm fresh eggs for as low as $1.00 per dozen. So if you live in Louisiana and try to sell eggs for $3.00 and $4.00 when the person on the next street is selling eggs for $1.00 per dozen, guess what? You will have a fridge full of eggs that no one wants to buy. Like I always say, farm fresh eggs are like bottled water on a shelf. They are everywhere.

So, if you think that you can sell your "organic" eggs for higher price please do so.

I have posted a link below about "Organic".

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/nop

Thanks for the link. I will def. check it out. And i am not advertising organic eggs, she asked what I fed them and I told her organic feed. She was the one that said they were organic eggs. I never mentioned it. I am happy getting $3 per dozen as I'm just looking for help with feed costs not looking to make money.

I know what you mean. Most of my customers automatically label my eggs as "organic" as well. I wish that I could get $3.00 per dozen. Would surely help with the feed.

I wouldn't give up on posting adds on craigslist tho,sometimes it can be hit or miss, I posted one add and got enough perminent customers i have never needed to post again ,and I sell to familly and friends

Back
Top Bottom