How do you store your chicken supplies?

Pics
i thought of you when i saw the ice cream in the store-i almost bought some just for the jar!

I wouldn't buy it for just the jar but it's a nice side benefit. :) I have even more inside the house, as jars for freezer jam, an easy snack container for things like chips, storage for tiny things on the desk or in drawers, etc.

so i ve started to take your advice into consideration, i have moved the supplies out of the pantry (some of them) and placed them by the door to the backyard for ease. i like the outdoor storage, but i'm not there yet, as we still have to finish the coop. keep up the great ideas-winter break is coming and may be i can post a completed pic for you...hmmm, or later. we are only two months behind our coop deadline, lol. DSCN0783.JPG DSCN0784.JPG

I found this title funny, because I first of all don’t have any chicken supplies, except feed if that counts and maybe a half empty bag of shavings. And if I had them, they would scattered throughout my garage like kids playing hide and seek. My two tables in the garage are so full of crap, odds and ends, dead things, horse treats, you name it it’s probably there. I have a tub where the feed and a really old bag of oyster shells goes, or that would end up lost too.
I’m so bad......:gig
Part of me dreams of that pleasurable utopia: a clean, organized space with tubs with labels, an army of poultry keeping products neatly in a row, and stacked bags of feed and shavings, not open and spilling out like mine do.
Ah well. I’ll never get there.

IT'S ALL ABOUT CONVENIENCE AND CLEANLINESS
I buy feed in bulk sized bags from a feed store. We mix our scratch using high quality bird seed/grain (bulk sized bags), cracked corn (bulk sized bags), and dried meal worms (when I fork up the money for them). I mix it in a large tote. I store feed in a similar tote as well. Home Depot and Menards often care "heavy duty" totes that work great. The lids snap on more securely and the bins are more rigid. I keep my scratch in one of these. The Rubbermaid tote I keep feed in bulges on the sides - I intend to eventually swap it for a heavy duty tote. I store both totes in my garage. A shed or walk in coop would work also. Our coop is too small (4'x8'x'4) to store them in and the garage is convenient because it is attached to the house and there's a slop sink where we wash chicken feeders, waterers, and other objects. Up until just recently we were fermenting the feed in quart sized mason jars in the garage. The feed and water being in the same room made it much easier.

So you get the convenience - the large size is easier to store/mix my large amounts in and the location provides access, water, and is easy to access.

As for cleanliness:
Once emptied the totes are easy to wash out with a hose right in the driveway.
They are large enough that I am able to set a feeder inside them and scoop feed into the feeder. Any feed that falls out or misses the feeder goes right back into the tote. For scratch, I place a 5 gallon bucket in the tote and scoop scratch into it with plenty of room to work. Dumping bags of feed or scratch ingredients into the tote is mess free and easy. The lids keep any critters, dust/debris, etc out of the feed and scratch.

Lastly, SOME THINGS ARE NOT WORTH STORING
Oyster shell and grit - just put them in the run where they belong. I poured a bag or two of each into some old well weathered tires I laid on their sides in the run. When my hens need grit or oyster shell they go and get some. It doesn't spoil or mold or attract bugs or rodents. Leave it (ALL OF IT) where they can access it.
Dust bath ingredients (if you get crazy with creating a dust bath) - mix the biggest/most dust baths you can (the tires work great for these too). Use all the ingredients you have and leave the dust (ALL OF IT) in the dust baths in the run. It doesn't go bad, so let the chickens have access to it. Once in a while just rack or scoop out the unwanted things - chicken poop, branches, leaves, etc. And turn the dust mixture. You shouldn't have to add to it for a long time this way, especially if you contain it with some old tires, boards, etc.

Last edited:
I found this title funny, because I first of all don’t have any chicken supplies, except feed if that counts and maybe a half empty bag of shavings. And if I had them, they would scattered throughout my garage like kids playing hide and seek. My two tables in the garage are so full of crap, odds and ends, dead things, horse treats, you name it it’s probably there. I have a tub where the feed and a really old bag of oyster shells goes, or that would end up lost too.
I’m so bad......:gig
Part of me dreams of that pleasurable utopia: a clean, organized space with tubs with labels, an army of poultry keeping products neatly in a row, and stacked bags of feed and shavings, not open and spilling out like mine do.
Ah well. I’ll never get there.
ha! you made me laugh!
i think that my need for efficiency is that i don't have a lot of space, i am a city dweller. i am unable to free range all day, but try most ...almost, most days. therefore, i ve got to have dried critters and some extra stuff.
part of me dreams of having acres where i ve got horses, goats, and LOTS of birds with bags of shavings spilling out, hopefully one day-

That is always difficult, when you don’t have the space that you wish you could have. I’m blessed, living on 20 acres of Illinois rural country with a large pasture and unlimited space for my chickens to roam. But for years we lived in rental houses where chickens were not allowed and we didn’t have space to keep horses or money to board one. These last four years in what we call Golden Valley have been the best of my life!!! I hope you get the opportunity for the same someday!!! :hugs
However, that means we have lots of predators like coyotes, but at least we can shoot them now that we don’t live in a neighborhood

That is always difficult, when you don’t have the space that you wish you could have. I’m blessed, living on 20 acres of Illinois rural country with a large pasture and unlimited space for my chickens to roam. But for years we lived in rental houses where chickens were not allowed and we didn’t have space to keep horses or money to board one. These last four years in what we call Golden Valley have been the best of my life!!! I hope you get the opportunity for the same someday!!! :hugs
However, that means we have lots of predators like coyotes, but at least we can shoot them now that we don’t live in a neighborhood
20 acres of land... I wish. I have 1/3 acre and probably just as much in taxes. Also in Illinois, but in Chicago suburbs. I would love to have just 5 acres even one day.
Talk about space to store feed... I sure could find somewhere on 20 acres.

Back
Top Bottom