How do you store your eggs and why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aamanda, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Right in the fridge!! No cleaning

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. Right in the fridge...after a good clean

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Out for a few days then into the fridge

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Our for a few days then into the fridge...after a good cleaning.

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Mine never go in the fridge

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Eggs go in the fridge?

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Just curious. I have heard so many ways its done and would like to hear how/why you do it!! My Great Grandmom never refrigerated an egg. Not that I can remember. And she always had a basket of eggs on the counter. My Grandmom always refrigerated hers but would not put it in the fridge untill she was sure it was room temp. Usually a couple hours. I tend to do both. If the egg is messy and must be cleaned I let it cool (if its not already) clean with hot water, let it dry and into the fridge it goes.
    Soooo. How do you do it?

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I collect them from the nest box clean and do not need to wash them if they're from the nest box. Unless one drops from a girl who was on the roost and it gets a bit of excrement on it-- then I wash off the offending spots. Otherwise the only reason I put them in the fridge I guess is because I don't want them taking up my counter space. [​IMG]

I don't like to wash basically because of "Bloom":

http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/10/31/egg-bloom/

3. easunshine

easunshine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    I put mine in the fridge and wash them prior to use.

4. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Mine sit on the counter for a week (they are too pretty to hide lol). Then they get washed and refrigerated. The reason for my method is that I prefer room temp eggs, but if they lasted the week without being eaten they are destined for selling.

5. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I LOVE the way they look in a pretty wire basket on the counter! But with three kids 9 and under plus me and hubby, plus a few dedicated customers we never have them long. And I agree. If I have to buy from the store I let them warm up some before I cook them.

6. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    Mine go right into the fridge. I don't wash routinely, but do wash the few (with soap and warm water) that have visible poop on them.

1 person likes this.
  7. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I'm not in the habit of eating egg shell, so I don't see the need to wash them. Straight from the nest box to the frig to the frying pan. If the are excptionally dirty, I will wipe them off with a cloth before they go in the frig.

8. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    I wash them before I out them in the fridge, DH hasn't put up the roosts, so the eggs almost always have poop on them. He won't let me do it my way, I don't know how to do it the way he wants.

9. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I wipe of any poo marks with a slightly dampened paper towel then into the fridge. We get 5 eggs everyday so we can't leave them out on the counter. We almost have 36 eggs right now, I eat 3 a day.

10. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I feel for ya!! My Hubby does things his way cus its "The only right way" lol. But im happy in the fact that home stuff is still my territory. And that includes the critters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by