how do you stretch dog kibble

I think raw is cheap and high quality, but then again I only have one dog.
I buy Dusti's food in with ours and honestly I forget that she's even a part of the budget, except when the grocery clerk goes to ring up the beef kidney and gives me that weird look
lol.png

Quote:
it does cost the same if you have to buy all the meat,,but even so your dog will be much healthier on raw..when you figure in you wont need 6 dental cleanings per year..thats a pretty good savings.

Quote:
In my research I have found that raw egg whites are not good for dogs. One website, Dr Fosters and Smith says this about raw eggs:

"Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella. " end quote

I am not worried about salmonella as dogs have stronger stomaches than we do, but I don't want to cause problems with vitamin absorption.

Quote:
Forgive me, I'm a goofball sometimes. I was trying to figure out what brand Kibble was
hu.gif
I was going to try the Taste of the Wild, but for $45 it's a little too steep for my pockets.

Quote:
Sounds like you are very commited to your current product. You are not going to switch, eh? IMHO - if you are sold on this product and then choose to "augment" their diet to save money, then you no longer have all the benefits of the product. Might as well go cheaper.

Quote:
I used to work at a vet clinic where one of my main duties was performing dental cleanings on cats and dogs, so I do know how much an animal can need one. That said, I've owned dogs for the last 20 years and fed nothing but kibble, and none of my dogs has ever needed a dental cleaning. I associate dentals with feeding canned food. The kibble is hard enough to help the dogs teeth stay clean so does not cause the buildup of plaque and tartar that canned food does. I've never tried a raw diet so can't compare it, but on kibble, there is something wrong if you are doing 6 dental cleanings a year.

Feeding kibble does have it's benefits. As does feeding raw food. I think the problem with the wide range of prices for dog food is due to the ingredients in each brand. Brands that have more grains and fillers tend to cost less, and brands with more meats and animal proteins cost more. I don't want to cut out the animal protein to replace it with a food that is higher in plant protein.

Going off some of the raw fed sites.
As many as 24 egg whites would have to be eaten to inactivate biotin.
Egg whites are an excellent source of phosphorus-free protein.
Even the Egg yolk has biotin.

So combining a whole raw egg once a day into kibble will not hurt a dog. If it did there certainly would be a lot of us saying so.

Back
Top Bottom