How do you tell a mallard from a rouen?

Bantu

Chirping
Jul 21, 2016
USA
My Coop
My Coop

Here is a photo taken during their grass treat and BEFORE their bedding change. ( it was 100% dry less than 10 minutes earlier)The larger one is well on its way to being feathered out, even more so than the pekin. It's behavior is more flighty then I thought a rouen would be. Sweet duck but if it's a mallard I'll have to change its name from Roan.
1f601.png

Thank you.

I love my ducks!

Last edited:
One of the easiest ways to tell is by the size. A Mallard would be half the size of the Pekin, maybe less. So you definitely have Rouen. And don't worry, we totally understand the messiness of a duck.
big_smile.png

The Black is a Call Duckling....4 days difference in age.....Same size ......
Call Duck at the back of the bowl.....not growing as fast as the rest.......3 weeks old

My Call Drake stayed small the others grew..........

Wait....to early to tell.....

Cheers!

None of the ducks pictured look like Call ducks. An adult drake is suppose to weight 1.25–1.5 lbs (0.6–0.7 kg).

An adult Mallard weights 2.25-2.5 lbs. An adult Rouen weights 5-7.25 lbs. A regular Pekin is 7-13.5 lbs. A duckling normally grows proportionate to it's adult weight.

Just reread your reply....If your stating my Call Drake is not a Call ? I am a bit offended......He is a Silver Mallard Call Drake.......Not all Calls are that small......I have two Show quality Birds coming in January....Very Tiny.......I love Lucky...He is a great little Call...Not Show quality, but yet very sweet to me.....

I love my Ducks...and every other one....

Cheers!...

Thank you for your replies. Roan will stay Roan. I just love my babies especially the Pekin" Aflac". I just love the snuggles.

My point is that there is no way a Mallard duckling and Pekin duckling of the same age would be that close in size. A Rouen, on the hand, would be close. If you believe smaller breeds grow slower, than the Mallard would be even smaller as it would be proportionally smaller than it's adult size which is already less than half that of a Pekin.

Easy way to tell is to weight the duckling. If it already weights over 2 lbs , it's not a Mallard.

Just reread your reply....If your stating my Call Drake is not a Call ? I am a bit offended......He is a Silver Mallard Call Drake.......Not all Calls are that small......I have two Show quality Birds coming in January....Very Tiny.......I love Lucky...He is a great little Call...Not Show quality, but yet very sweet to me.....

I love my Ducks...and every other one....

Cheers!...
No offense intended but yes I was referring to your pictures. Your duck doesn't look like the typical Call to me. The head and body aren't rounded, the bill is longer, and the neck is long. Unless you are actually breeding and selling eggs it's no big deal. If you like him that's all that matters.

lomine, I recently found this very interesting thing called an ''Australian call duck'''. Its very confusing to us Americans. I went round in circles telling someone they didnt have calls...oops. Maybe thats whats goin' on here.

Back
Top Bottom