How is your flock today?

Totally ok to ask. Barred rock rooster with barred rock and speckled sussex hens. Offspring from said. I really do like having chickens.
That is so awesome, so do you let your hens go broody or do you incubate the fertile eggs yourself? I have just started to learn how the whole incubation process works. So far between our two hatches we ended up with 21 healthy baby chicks. :love

That is so awesome, so do you let your hens go broody or do you incubate the fertile eggs yourself? I have just started to learn how the whole incubation process works. So far between our two hatches we ended up with 21 healthy baby chicks. :love
I incubated the last, but will wait to see on this one. Winter chicks?

I know next to nothing about Australops- except they have a good solid fan base for good reasons. I look forward to hearing your take on them. Especially with your heat. AZ right?
We are in NC and have more humidity in the summer time unlike AZ where it is a much dryer summer time heat with higher temps.

From what I have read they should do fine over here as long as they have plenty of shade available for them. I am super good about keeping all theirs and the ducks water changed and clean during the higher temps and also run fans to keep the air moving for the in the shade. So far all has been well and no complaints. :)

Of course I do! This is from summer 2020, shortly after they started laying. This is Little. She was the smallest of my first chicks, hence the name. Be careful what you name your birds: she lived up to her name by laying the littles eggs. She's my nicest Aussie.
IMG_E0500.JPG

This is Middle. Not shown is Lark, my third Black Australorp. She was camera shy.

IMG_E0579.JPG

Taken this past June, this is May, who was a Blue Australorp until she became a Blue Jersey Giant. :gig Even though it's not a good quality picture (especially at this size!), I love it because she looks happy to me.

IMG_E1083.JPG

I would get Australorps again, any time. They are nice, quiet birds.

@Sally PB Thank you for sharing pics, what cuties! :love I am guessing you only have the 3 Black Australop hens and no rooster?

I have read that about them being quiet also, I was just curious on the temperament of the Roosters, I read they are very docile and quiet also. Always good to hear from people who have them first hand over what a person reads on the net! LOL

Right, I have 3 Black Australorp hens. My roo is a Buff Orpington. The three pullets are 2 Blue Jersey Giants and a Jubilee Orp.

I'm glad it's November. I have about 5-6 months before chick fever hits too badly. I can figure out if I want more Aussies, probably sexed pullets from TSC. Or maybe hatch some chicks, in which case I need a plan for the cockerels. I'd also need a serious broody hen, as I don't have an incubator.

Another idea that's kicking around in my head is to buy some Arkansas Blue eggs from 1muttsfan, and maybe get some blue eggers in my flock. I'm kind of ga-ga about blue eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom