How likely Male Pekin will drown Female KC during mating?

shiningeyes

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
So my two sweethearts have just come into sexual maturity-they are about 20-21 weeks. I noticed my male attempting to mate my female today. She wasn't having it and kept getting out of their bathing tub until he did finally manage to mount her. I ended up intervening because my three year old was there and didn't understand what was going on (we will have to have that talk now I guess!) and I wanted to drain the pool halfway to give her a better chance of getting/keeping her head somewhat above water. I only have the two and she's always been the boss but I know those male urges are hard to resist so now I am stressing out about him killing her mainly due to the size difference. I don't really have a way to separate them and they are out foraging most of the day so it's not usually an issue but we will be leaving on vacation so they will be spending the majority of their time in their run with the bathing tub. Should I not worry? Should I take out their tub (which they really love)? Any helpful tips other than get more females which I can't do?

The male will not drown her,my ducks do it all the time and he does not drown her.its ok,but if your leavening,I suggest you do take it out.

It's not likely that he will drown her. It's when 2 or more males get after the girl at once that the chance of drowning her is likely, How long will you be gone on vacation? Do you have a way to ensure they have endless water while you are away? If not, I would leave it in.

Thanks everyone. Sadly my female got injured this evening and is currently spending the night at the vet. Hoping she doesn't have a broken pelvis but was unable or refusing to walk when we brought her in. Hopefully just refusing. Either way this won't be an issue right now. But it is good to hear replies for the future. So thanks again.

Thanks everyone. Sadly my female got injured this evening and is currently spending the night at the vet. Hoping she doesn't have a broken pelvis but was unable or refusing to walk when we brought her in. Hopefully just refusing. Either way this won't be an issue right now. But it is good to hear replies for the future. So thanks again.
So sorry to read this. How is she doing now?

So sorry to read this.  How is she doing now?

Not great although she could be worse I'm assuming. She can stand for about 1/2 a second but quick falls down. She can push herself around some. The vet was able to stitch the large wound on her back. She's not eating anything besides a few peas. I'm hoping she'll start to feel better andayne her appetite will come back. I'm trying not to worry too much as I probably wouldn't want to eat if I was in her position but it is a little concerning. She is drinking though and quacking some. I'm struggling getting her medicine in her-man duckies are stronger than I thought- bit hopefully hat will start getting easier as I get in a bit of practice. Thank you for asking. There really isn't anyone I can talk to about this because most everyone I know thinks she's "just a duck". My 3 year old and I disagree with this :)

You never mentioned how she was injured? Was she attacked or was it caused by the Drake?
Hope she recovers quickly......

You never mentioned how she was injured? Was she attacked or was it caused by the Drake?
Hope she recovers quickly......

We're actually not sure how she was injured. I found her on the other side of the fence along th road. We think she must have been clipped by a car or perhaps even a bicyclist. It doesn't look like an attack we don't think. And I've never seen my drake act aggressively toward her or even try and mate except when in the pool. The vet also said she'd never seen injuries like hers from a drake. So we're just not sure. I wish we did know, not that it would make any difference but it's hard not knowing. Maybe if we knew we'd know more about what's wrong with her.

Back
Top Bottom