How long after pip should ducks fully hatch?

George678

Chirping
May 23, 2021
Hi , my duck eggs made their first pips this morning and how long does it usually take for them to fully hatch out of the shell? Thanks .

Usually hatching eggs can take up to 24 hours after they externally pip.

They may rest a while before starting to zip.. they are absorbing the yolk into their abdomen at this time is my understanding.. hatching too early leaves yolk outside the naval.

Once zipping has started.. it usually goes pretty quickly..

Usually hatching eggs can take up to 24 hours after they externally pip.

They may rest a while before starting to zip.. they are absorbing the yolk into their abdomen at this time is my understanding.. hatching too early leaves yolk outside the naval.

Once zipping has started.. it usually goes pretty quickly..
Thanks for your help . I’ve got 6 pipping under a broody hen in a nesting box , I was also wondering how long I should leave them with the hen after hatching until I transfer them to the brooder / hutch because they’ll need food and water. Thanks

Thanks for your help . I’ve got 6 pipping under a broody hen in a nesting box , I was also wondering how long I should leave them with the hen after hatching until I transfer them to the brooder / hutch because they’ll need food and water. Thanks
The yolk will sustain them for up to 72 hours after hatch.. usually until the hen is sure all are done hatching and she takes them off the nest to food and water. It's why staggered hatching is avoided if possible.

Is she not allowed to raise them? I'm sure she wants that reward after sitting so long, you taking them is no different to her than losing them to a predator. I know we all have different set ups and flock dynamics which can make that challenging, and mean no judgement. Is she a first time mom? Are you thinking about letting her try to raise them? Is your broody hen a duck also? Sorry, some others are using chicken hens to hatch duck eggs, so I have to ask instead of presuming anything.

Maybe @Miss Lydia or @WVduckchick has more experience with duck moms than I do and can share a few words of wisdom or suggestions with us? TIA

IF I was gonna take babies.. I usually try to wait until at least 2 are hatched.. so their not alone and upset in the brooder.

Some folks deal with hens or flock mates harming or killing babies and need to remove right away. Some folks fence in their broody nest or block out the flock for a SHORT period (few days) while hen and babes are well bonded. Some take (early) hatch-lings (in the event of staggered hatching) to a brooder and return them under mum (at night) once hatch is complete.

Each time is very unique.. in my experience.. so I can only share possibilities and not absolutes..

Happy hatching adventures!
:fl:jumpy :jumpy

The yolk will sustain them for up to 72 hours after hatch.. usually until the hen is sure all are done hatching and she takes them off the nest to food and water. It's why staggered hatching is avoided if possible.

Is she not allowed to raise them? I'm sure she wants that reward after sitting so long, you taking them is no different to her than losing them to a predator. I know we all have different set ups and flock dynamics which can make that challenging, and mean no judgement. Is she a first time mom? Are you thinking about letting her try to raise them? Is your broody hen a duck also? Sorry, some others are using chicken hens to hatch duck eggs, so I have to ask instead of presuming anything.

Maybe @Miss Lydia or @WVduckchick has more experience with duck moms than I do and can share a few words of wisdom or suggestions with us? TIA

IF I was gonna take babies.. I usually try to wait until at least 2 are hatched.. so their not alone and upset in the brooder.

Some folks deal with hens or flock mates harming or killing babies and need to remove right away. Some folks fence in their broody nest or block out the flock for a SHORT period (few days) while hen and babes are well bonded. Some take (early) hatch-lings (in the event of staggered hatching) to a brooder and return them under mum (at night) once hatch is complete.

Each time is very unique.. in my experience.. so I can only share possibilities and not absolutes..

Happy hatching adventures!
:fl:jumpy :jumpy
Thanks yes it’s a broody chicken and yes I’ll let her raise them as long as she accepts them.

I bet she'll accept them I've had a couple hens hatch ducklings. They only see them as their babies not chicks or ducklings. I always secure a place in the coop so my mamas and babies have privacy and safety but can still be with the flock. This is what I am using now Once everyone is out for the day they get the run of the coop. IMG_2085.jpeg

What breed of ducklings? And what breed of broody hen? Most ducks can easily take 40-48 hours to hatch after pip. Ducks are sloooow, so be patient.

I agree most broody hens will raise ducklings with no issue, just make sure you have waterers that are deep enough for ducks to submerge their whole bill. Also a chicken mom won’t teach a duckling to swim, but after a week or so, you can give them a shallow pan of water and they will still figure out how to get in it and splash around.

What breed of ducklings? And what breed of broody hen? Most ducks can easily take 40-48 hours to hatch after pip. Ducks are sloooow, so be patient.

I agree most broody hens will raise ducklings with no issue, just make sure you have waterers that are deep enough for ducks to submerge their whole bill. Also a chicken mom won’t teach a duckling to swim, but after a week or so, you can give them a shallow pan of water and they will still figure out how to get in it and splash around.
They’re Aylesbury ducks . And it’s a speckled Maran chicken . One duckling has hatched this morning and all others haven’t made much progress

They’re Aylesbury ducks . And it’s a speckled Maran chicken . One duckling has hatched this morning and all others haven’t made much progress
I suspect they should be fine. Congrats on the first hatchling!

I asked breeds because sometimes bantam chickens can have issues with large breed ducks, since ducklings grow so fast, they quickly get as big as broody is :D You shouldn’t have that issue.

I hope you can post some pics when you get a chance.

I suspect they should be fine. Congrats on the first hatchling!

I asked breeds because sometimes bantam chickens can have issues with large breed ducks, since ducklings grow so fast, they quickly get as big as broody is :D You shouldn’t have that issue.

I hope you can post some pics when you get a chance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    741 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom