How long can a goose survive in the incubator after hatching? (Please answer quickly!)

Apr 19, 2022
221B Baker Street
Hello there,
This is a bit of an emergency post. My first gosling just hatched (pictures to come), but I don't want to open the incubator. I have several more eggs in the bator that have only externally pipped. How long can a gosling survive in an incubator?

Every answer is appreciated!

DTS

I agree with @NatJ

Do note that it is fine to open the bator during lockdown. Shrink-wrapping is only a concern if the humidity dropped for a long period of time. Simply opening and closing the bator will not hurt the hatching eggs.
I open the bator all the time during lockdown. To let chicks hatch in my hand, and to candle internal pips.

What makes you think he needs an assist? I don't know a thing about hatching goose eggs, but with chickens and especially ducks, it can take a full 48 hours to go from pip to zip. Can you see his beak? If you look at the egg, can you see his beak making a chewing motion? Thats because he's absorbing the yolk sack still, and isn't quite ready to hatch yet.
This one was actually our first to pip and begin zipping, and it's been about two days now. Her beak somehow positioned away from her external pip, and she kept getting quieter. She struggled a lot at first, and for the past several hours she's just stopped. I peeled back some of her shell and she's already more vocal and trying to get out again. For some reason, it seems like she doesn't want to continue zipping. I believe she completely absorbed. If there's still no progress in a few hours, I'll pull the shell back a little more.

Like I said, she was first to pip and zip, but all of her hatchmates are fully hatched and in the brooder now. Pictures to come, and I'll make sure to add all the names of everyone who's helped me through this first incubation.

I agree with @NatJ

Do note that it is fine to open the bator during lockdown. Shrink-wrapping is only a concern if the humidity dropped for a long period of time. Simply opening and closing the bator will not hurt the hatching eggs.
I open the bator all the time during lockdown. To let chicks hatch in my hand, and to candle internal pips.
Okay, thank you very much for the information. I'm waiting on one more to hatch and a couple others to dry off. I think the one might need some assisted hatching, though. We'll see if she progresses after a take the egg shells and other goslings out. Small bator. All the rest look healthy, though one of the egg shells has a lot of reddish gunk in it. Fingers crossed!

Thanks,

DTS

Your very welcome. :)
Wow, three batches of helping. Gosling was malpositioned, feet over the head. I ended up having to remove half of her shell and then peel back the membrane as well. I think she'll be alright. Still in the bator to dry off, and then I'll move her to the brooder. Her four siblings and one larger, older gosling are in there right now.

I think the one might need some assisted hatching, though. We'll see if she progresses after a take the egg shells and other goslings out.
What makes you think he needs an assist? I don't know a thing about hatching goose eggs, but with chickens and especially ducks, it can take a full 48 hours to go from pip to zip. Can you see his beak? If you look at the egg, can you see his beak making a chewing motion? Thats because he's absorbing the yolk sack still, and isn't quite ready to hatch yet.

This one was actually our first to pip and begin zipping, and it's been about two days now. Her beak somehow positioned away from her external pip, and she kept getting quieter. She struggled a lot at first, and for the past several hours she's just stopped. I peeled back some of her shell and she's already more vocal and trying to get out again. For some reason, it seems like she doesn't want to continue zipping. I believe she completely absorbed. If there's still no progress in a few hours, I'll pull the shell back a little more.

Like I said, she was first to pip and zip, but all of her hatchmates are fully hatched and in the brooder now. Pictures to come, and I'll make sure to add all the names of everyone who's helped me through this first incubation.
Okay, that sounds like a good time to assist.
This is a good article on assisted hatching- Article 'Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry'

Back
Top Bottom