How long do call duck eggs need to be incubated before taking them into lock down?

Table4Six

Crossing the Road
10 Years
May 22, 2012
So, I have 3 call duck eggs on day 16 & 13 call duck eggs on day 5. How long to call ducks typically need to be incubated?

This will be my first time hatching, raising, and owning call ducks, but I do own 21 other ducks so this is not brand new. I've read hatching other ducks is not that different from hatching calls except for the size difference and because call ducks have such short necks, bills they should be helped if there is no progress after the first 24hrs. Any advice would be great. :)

You've done your research! That's good. Calls typically hatch on the 26th day, but that's a general guideline, depending on your temps and humidity..etc.

Do you have a separate hatcher for the eggs on different days? You will need to increase humidity around day 22-23, the eggs that are newer shouldn't be increased.

You've done your research! That's good. Calls typically hatch on the 26th day, but that's a general guideline, depending on your temps and humidity..etc.

Do you have a separate hatcher for the eggs on different days? You will need to increase humidity around day 22-23, the eggs that are newer shouldn't be increased.

Incubators are not my thing what so ever. So I have the eggs under two of my broody chickens. So they're in charge of turning the eggs ect. They're doing a great job, even after day one they're was signs of development. And every time I take an egg out to candle it they feel nice and warm. Luckily, I have had some experience with hatching ducks. I have hatched wood duck eggs and two cross breed eggs. But this is still something new and very exciting. Thanks for the info @WVduckchick.

Incubators-for-Chicken-Eggs-and-More-410x1024.jpg

Wow! I’m floored about chickens brooding over duck eggs! Not to change the subject.....but how do they do towards the end of a longer-duck-incubating period? Especially as you hit lockdown? Do you anything special w/ eggs like misting them?

Oh my broodys don't mind the longer period of sitting on eggs. Actually, they've already been sitting on the eggs longer than 25 days because when these two hens first when broody it took a couple of weeks to get the eggs. When I hit lock down I take the eggs in my garage where its warm and put a heat lamp on them and throughout the process yes it they do require misting at that point. After they hatch I will attempt to slowly introduce them back to my broody chickens, but because they're ducklings there is always a chance that the hen will reject them, but I've successfully had a frizzled cochin hen raise for baby wood ducks. If the hens do reject them I will just hand raise them myself.

Back
Top Bottom