how long do new chickens have to be locked in their coop

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
Yesterday we got 2 hens and a rooster from an animal shelter. Its been raining quite a bit lately and this is like the first few sunny days we've had. So i want to let the chickens out into their fenced area just for a while to get them used to it. I would be there while they roam around. The animal shelter have clipped their wings so they cant fly away. Would it be fine to let them out?

I wouldn't hesitate letting them out with supervision. We haven't had any trouble letting new birds out near dark when we are there to watch them. As it gets close to dark make sure they head back in you coop rather than someplace undesirable. Good Luck!! :).

Be ready with some treat they love, mealworms for my girls, to lure them away or towards where you want them. I was watching my flock of five run around the yard when to my horror the smallest went through the fence toward a very busy street. I grabbed a cup of dried mealworms and called them all back to the coop. Everyone came running for that treat. Oh just so you understand I am in a wheelchair and could not get to the lose bird they have to come to me.

I actually am getting a new coop this weekend and was going to ask the same thing.....my chickies are probably about 14 weeks give or take and like I said we are getting a new coop and I too wanted to know when is a good time or age to allow them to free range after getting used to the new coop? I was told keep them in a few days 3-4 then let them out and at night they will come back in or something to that effect, any thoughts or suggestions I would be home before allowing them out to free range until I was comfy with letting them roam

Our young birds do good at returning to their coops after a couple days. But we always let them out for the first few times with supervision and the first few times we only let them out for only a couple of hours to keep them from roaming very far away. Some of our birds make it back inside the coop just fine without assistance, while others gather at the door or near the door. I think it's important to continue to be there just before dark each time they are released to make sure they all make it back inside the safety of the coop with the door securely shut to protect the from predators. We have had raccoons attack our birds shortly after dark when we were late closing the coop door. We have found that it's best not to be late. Good Luck!!! :)

Thank you all! I let them out this morning for an hour and the bush turkey came to check out his new neighbors haha.

Thanx for all this advice it is greatly appreciated and helpful especially for a newbie like me hope yall have a wonderful day from virginia

Good info. Chicks are just eight weeks and have spent the last few nights in the coop. Eeeek! It's been tough but I love letting them into the run in the morning so glad they aren't so confined any more. Can't wait to really let them loose.

Back
Top Bottom