How long do RIR's take to start laying?

Q9

General Headache
13 Years
Jun 22, 2009
The Sovereign State of NC
Our Rhode Island Reds are about 4 months old, give or take two weeks, and still haven't laid. About how long does it take these greedy little critters to start? I'm pretty sure they're not roosters, none haved crowed... Yet. I am growing impatient.

my RIRs hatched April 27th ( 19 of them ) and June 24th ( 27 of them ). I get 5 eggs a day and I am hoping to have about a dozen a day very soon, to increase to at least 2 or 3 dozen in a few months

I have 25 RIR hens. I get about 20-25 eggs per day. Mine were born March 12, 09 and started laying in July/August. Another thing, they will start out as small eggs, or "pullet eggs" and gradually get larger.

SO STAND BACK, THE EGGS ARE COMING!! I don't try to sell the ones we don't use, just give them to some elderly neighbors who really appreciate them.

The funny thing is, some of the egg shells are very very light brown, some a really deep brown.

One thing for sure, I sure do love/spoil my chickens.

DonnaBelle

hey DB...I shouldn't be too far behind you then. Thats cool, because people are starting to harrass me. I can finally take care of my own egg needs, but not everyone that expects from me.

Back
Top Bottom