How many eggs is unhealthy?

My hubby was in a study for LGI lifestyle program (which I now teach) and he had his cholesterol checked just before the 12 week study period and just after. It started at over 300....his doc wanted to put him on meds, he got him to wait 12 weeks and re-check....it went under 200 for the first time in his life.

He ate at least 3 eggs a day!!!! And beef a couple times a week, and we don't skin our chicken when we cook it.

But he DID completely eliminate sugar and severely restricted white flour, which we have since eliminated from our daily diet. We also used NO diet foods, no lite mayo or diet drinks or diet cookies or anything. We added LOTS of LGI veggies, like 9-12 servings per day.

That is more important that avoiding "dangerous" eggs.

Freemotion made my point. Eggs are not dangerous, they are a whole food, dairy, protein, fats, etc. Loaded with vitamins, and even more than store boughts because we feed our chickens tons of veggies.

Thanks for that report Freemotion. Most people don't realize that high bad cholesterol numbers come from CARBS...not eggs, beef, pork or fats.

From what I recall having learned, most of ones cholesterol is produced by the body, compared to that from diet. I think the ratio is something like 80:20 (produced by body:that from diet). So I think the answer depends at least in part on what your cholesterol level is.

Most people know the number, but the number is useless without particle size. You can have high LDL (so called bad cholesterol) but if it is made up of large "fluffy" particles, it isn't dangerous.

If, however, your LDL consists of small dense particles (VLDL = Very Low Density Lipoproteins), it is an indicator your are at risk for heart disease.

So you can end up with 2 people with the same numbers...while one is ready to keel over the other is perfectly fine.

My brother worked for Baylor School of Medicine and was part of a study involving cholesterol and eggs.

He normally ate two a day and increased his consumption to 4 a day. His cholesterol only went up sightly... insignificantly enough that the Dr. said eggs were no problem for him.

It all depends on the person and how the metabolize those little cluck nuggets.

having looked this thread over i remember reading somewhere that not only are eggs a whole food, but the cholesterol they contain is mainly the healthy cholesterol. They have changed thier story on eggs recently anyway. I eat they all the time and cholesterol is normal, even though I am slightly overweight.

The other thing is whether or not the cholesterol is oxidized. Almost no health professionals test for that. A diet rich in anti-oxidants and supplementation is a great protectant.

I just attended a CME/CEU course on nutritional intervention in the clinical practice, some really cool studies just out on bioflavoniods and cardiovascular health. Ask your cardiologist if he has seen the Aug/Sep issue of Angiology. Very cool.

My grandfather often ate 6 - 8 eggs per day as an adult and lived to be 85 years old. They had their own chickens in Nashville. What probably is more of an issue is the bacon or cheap margarine! Getting a sunburn's probably worse than eating eggs, especially natural chickens.

I believe there are much worse things to eat than eggs.
jumpy.gif
They are loaded with protien and lots of nutrition. :cdThe white flour and sugar will kill you though !!!
old.gif

This is a difficult subject as it can be hereditary as well. My Mom was basically a vegitarian and had high cholesteral. They gave her meds to control it. She was 5 ft 2 and only weighed 120 lbs.

The amount of exercise has a huge effect and so does the amount of whole grains and vegtables you eat.

The fats that we get eating fast food are a BIG problem and so are the fatty cuts of meat.
rant.gif

I don't eat any beef, some lean pork,lots of fish and skinless chicken. And of course eggs !!!!

IM healthy and I enjoy my exercise and occasional dark chocolate
ya.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom