How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Well all 4 new chicks made it through the night. I checked on them before I left for work.
When I got home ( only working half days at Summer school) I see 9 chicks with the broody hen outside. I have no idea where chick # 10 went.:idunno
It was 1 of the new chicks. Don't know if it wandered out into the dog run and the dog ate it or if 1 of the cats got it, or some of the other chickens in the flock or if it wandered away into the woods or What! I've looked all around but haven't seen any sign of it.
I'll see if it turns up later, but I doubt it will.

34 Eggs Today, this early morning 2 more eggs were zipping under the broody before I went to work. Came home @830s pm, I checked the broody, she left the nest and the 2 zipping chicks dead cold, together with 2 more eggs ready to hatch, that was so bizarre. :(:(:(

34 Eggs Today, this early morning 2 more eggs were zipping under the broody before I went to work. Came home @830s pm, I checked the broody, she left the nest and the 2 zipping chicks dead cold, together with 2 more eggs ready to hatch, that was so bizarre. :(:(:(

Aww, bummer! It always makes me wonder, "what were they thinking!" Was this an experienced broody or a first timer? Maybe she just didn't know "what to expect when you're expecting" and freaked out when they started to hatch. :idunno
Sorry for your loss.

Nothing happening with the last 2 eggs. I will give them until Monday, I think.
17 eggs today, but I believe that 18 were laid because 1 nest box has goo in it like the yolk from an egg.

How odd for that that to happen .. We had thunder and pouring rain all day birds did not like it at all 4 in my main coop 1 in silky

16 eggs again today and 1 more egg in the brooder hatched this evening! This one is a yellow chick. All the rest have been black ones and 1 chipmunk chick. We'll see if Momma broody will accept this one too. I know I have had 1 broody that wouldn't take an odd colored chick, but this one already has a chipmunk patterned one, so ....
I will probably put it out there tomorrow evening. I want to give it time to gain some strength. Will give it some food and water first too. One egg left to hatch!

Aww, bummer! It always makes me wonder, "what were they thinking!" Was this an experienced broody or a first timer? Maybe she just didn't know "what to expect when you're expecting" and freaked out when they started to hatch. :idunno
Sorry for your loss.

Nothing happening with the last 2 eggs. I will give them until Monday, I think.
17 eggs today, but I believe that 18 were laid because 1 nest box has goo in it like the yolk from an egg.

It was a first time broody, the other first timer hatched and took care of her 6 chicks for the last 3 wks, and she started laying again this week while still mothering her chicks. I got 5 more broodies, I’m not giving them any more eggs to sit on. I got 34 chicks ages 2 to 5 wks to integrate between 2 coops.

Back
Top Bottom