How Many People Raise Chickens in Residential Area?

Wow, thanks for all of the replies! This is great, and very encouraging! Our roosters will have to go asap, as they are getting VERY noisy, but the hens are just hanging out, doing their thing. We actually never called the village office where we live, as we at first just had two chicks, and had them in the house, in a cage. We reasoned what was the difference between them and a large parrot or something? Many dogs create alot of mess and noise, too, but they are allowed. Those turned out to be one of each but neither really crowed much. Then this past spring we inherited 10 more chicks, 5 of which are the roosters, and the noise has gone up significantly. At this point though, I am afraid to call the office and potentially give myself away. We live in a very small, rural village on the IL-WI border, but we are still considered 'in town.'
Thanks so much!

Im a big time outlaw, intown we are only permited to have 2 chickens. BUT a recent town meeting is looking at the bylaws and I got on the committee!! I doubt I can talk them into the amount that I have....14 layers and 6 meat birds. My neighbors are thrilled and love to have them come to their yard to free range. No roosters, too risky.

In town. We're limited to 5 hens, so I ordered sexed birds and got 50/50
th.gif
Currently have 1 roo that's fertalizing a new batch of eggs, after that he goes to a new home, and his daughters can stay.

I live smack dab in the city on a small lot in a neighborhood with strict "anti-livestock" rules. Our nearest next door neighbors are only about 20 feet away from house to house with a fence in between. So far the chicks have gone un-detected and I keep the area where the ark is immaculate so there is no off-smell or extra flies to arouse suspicion. I have 6 pullets (hopefully no roos)-12 wks old and have a water fountain next to the ark to disguise the sound. I am getting bamboo windchimes this weekend to hang there too- so the clucking might sound like bamboo clacking. The girls are beginning to do some practice clucks and when out in the yard they do some posturing and louder squawks but if you didn't know it was chickens it would sound like a squeaky wheel or something. Good Luck with your secret chicken endeavor - I think they are worth the risk:)

Luckily, I live on a corner lot in an East Phoenix neighborhod.... but I'm 3 roos and 9 chicks over the limit at present.

I live in the largest city in Northern Ontario Canada. We are allowed 3 cats, 2 dogs, 10 rabbits, 10 pigeons, parrots, lizards, rodents, etc. but no chickens. Unfortunately they still categorize chickens with cows and horses. I have talked to councillors, started petitions, groups, meetings etc. but it's alot of work and the city is very antiquated in all aspects of change or modern thinking. I desperately want 4-5 chickens but don't know if all the red tape and jumping through hoops will pay off. Maybe I should just go ahead and do it.

I desperately want 4-5 chickens but don't know if all the red tape and jumping through hoops will pay off. Maybe I should just go ahead and do it.

LOL! 4-5 perhaps 10-20....

Connie​

I am in the suburbs surrounding Seattle. 10,000 sf lot completely fenced. I am legal to have up to 5 hens. Currently have 4. Room for 1 more. I have great neighbors, who like my chickens. Another neighbor 4 houses down has 1 hen.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom