How much are you charging/where do you live?

i have seen $3 for 6 (organic, cage free) at the farm store here.

do people wash the eggs before selling? and if so, how?

Last edited:
West Palm Beach, FL. $4 a dozen for chicken eggs, $6 a dozen for duck eggs. I deliver in "town" once a week, when we're on our way downtown to the library anyway.

I think the only way to really make a living selling eggs is to do it in large quantities. But it's possible to cover your feed bill by selling the limited quantity from your backyard flock. No matter where you live, do NOT try to match the store prices, especially not for the commercially-produced factory-farmed white eggs. Even the high-end organic/cage-free eggs are produced in bulk, and thus able to be sold for the prices they ask and still make a profit.

What has helped my sales is finding the niche market for truly FRESH eggs produced by hens enjoying a pampered backyard existence. And being willing to travel once a week to deliver to the doors. Most of my customers are more or less on my way to the library so I'm not going crazy driving all over town. Many of them will arrange to leave a cooler on their porch with the $$$ inside, so we don't have to try & coordinate our schedules for delivery. I'll call or email them, or they me, by Friday each week.

Some folks live in areas, usually more rural, where backyard flocks are more common and many homes have signs on their gates advertising "Fresh eggs, $1 a dozen" or something like that. If that describes your neighborhood then I wouldn't even try to compete and try to find some other way to earn extra $$$ besides selling eggs.

Has anyone ever tried forming a co-op with other chicken owners in your area to sell your eggs together?

2.00 a dozen in syracuse, ny... i sell some, but many neighbors lied to me and said they were gonna buy eggs from me but they never did.. stupid neighbors >
hmm.png

$2 a doz.. and thats inline with the grocery store.. but my girls are having a rough time... so not many eggs right now

Not selling right now due to winter, etc. But when I did, I sold to co-workers, weighed the eggs/doz. and charged $2.00 for med., $2.50 for large, $3.50 for x-large, and $4.00 for jumbo. Had no trouble getting that price and even though I am now retired, I still get e-mails wanting to know when I'm going to crank up my rolling store again. People who sell at our farmer's market get more than that.
Oh, yeah, I'm in E. Tenn.

Quote:
We are about 90 miles west of LA and work about 45-60 miles west of LA. We were selling for $4.50/doz with 50 cents for returned cartons. The reason is that organic-free range eggs are $5.49 - $5.99/doz here! We don't claim organic, but fresh and free-range is enough for people to say they are saving money and getting better eggs. But, friends and family we usually sell for $3/doz.

We sell a dozen at $4 but I will soon raise that price to $5 per dozen. The hens are free to roam outside and locked up only at night. They get organic flax seed & organic veggie scraps along with their natural lay feed.
I'm in south east B.C, Canada. The certified organic eggs in the store get $6/dz. And the free-range eggs in store get $5/dz.

Back
Top Bottom