How much cold can silkies take?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mountaintopchicken, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    I would really like to get some silkies to use as living incubators, but I live in a really cold climate. It's nothing for it to be below 20 F and stay that way forever, and for it to be below 0 with the wind chill.
    Here's the weather we're talking about, only a little worse because of our exposed location. Can a silky take this kind of climate in a nice draft free coop, but with no added heat?

[​IMG]

2. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    My silkies are in a coop but the outdoor temps get to -35F. Inside the coop did get -3F, which made the girls all huddle together and rather unhappy [​IMG]
    I added insulation and a lamp and now the coop is staying about 10 above [​IMG]
    The silkies seem to be perfectly happy with anything above zero but they have elected not to go outside.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I would suggest that you put a heat source in rember silkies dont have close feathers like other breeds they have silk feathers that don't keep heat in or out.

4. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    My silkies were pretty good until the temperature hit the teens. It was the summers that were really rough on them.

Suzy:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by