How much did you spend on your coop? **Update with pics on pg. 12**

FaithAnn

Songster
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
Just wondering if I am going overboard, or if this is typical. It looks like I am going to spend about $400-$500 on a 8x8 coop off of the ground with an attached 8x8 run. My DH is about to have a fit.
hide.gif
Did I go overboard or is this typical?

Last edited:
I'm too embarrassed to say how much I spent! I was in a big hurry, and did not get any used or recycled items (until the fence!). My coop is 12' x 16', and is made of all new materials. It probably cost a couple thousand, I am guessing. It was probably more, but I quit counting after a while.
tongue.png

However, when it came time to build the run, I ran across free fencing (welded 2 x 4) just to take it down. Still had to buy the 200' of 4' tall hardware cloth, but the free stuff helped. The posts were all free as well.

Spent tons in nails, latches, staples, locks, and other hardware. If I had known, in the beginning, that it would be this expensive, I don't know that I would have started it! But I sure am enjoying it now!

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes me feel better. We aren't carpenters, so I am sure there are places we could have saved money if we were more experienced. I just wanted to build a nice coop so I didn't get six months down the road wanting to build again. I have a very understanding DH, but I get one shot at this. I know him and he is not going to make any home improvements for chickens.

We used an old shed in our yard and took scrap wood from my inlaws's house so in total I think we spent $8.00 and most of that was for nails
tongue.png

I'm pretty sure my run and coop are going to cost about $600. I'd much rather err on the side of giving the hens more space than they need than less--- it makes me very sad to see them cooped up.

(So, so, sorry for that pun!)

Back
Top Bottom