1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much head room for a cockeral?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jessie_Jazz, May 15, 2011.

1. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    I have 2 new chickens that I want to introduce to my existing flock of 3 soon. I am almost certain that one of them is a cockeral. As it is I am in two minds about whether or not I will keep him. If I do; how much head room does he need in the run?

My run is only 3 ft tall which seems fine for my girlies. Does a boy need any extra head room, or any other considerations?

I still haven't decided what do do with him, I know it would be more economical to eat him (I am a veggie but my husband eats meat) but I don't know if I would be able to.... help me make the right choice!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That should be fine, unless he is one of the few unusually-giant-tall breeds [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    He is a wyandotte, hopefully gold laced. As long as he is friendly and 3ft is enough room for him I think I will keep him. I would LOVE to hatch out some eggs. Not that I am getting ahead of myself......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by