How much square footage for free roaming chickens?

redfreckles

Hatching
Mar 9, 2017
We currently have 4 buff orpington hens but will be getting 10 new ladies when we move to our new place in a few months. We're considering a mix of amerecaunas and black australorp baby chicks. Thoughts? We live in Alabama.

**we WILL keep the new chickens separate from our current 4**

We're trying to plan the size of the chicken area which will be completely fenced in, including the top, to protect them from predators. So it won't be completely free roaming but we want to make it as big as possible.

Is 500 sq ft per bird enough room? That would be 2000 sq ft for our current 4, including a small coop area. And 5000 sq ft for the new 10, including coop.

Lord - I'm moving in with your chickens!
big_smile.png
For large fowl - inside coop should be around 8 sq.ft/bird; outside minimum is around 10 sq.ft/bird. so I think you have enough room. Many folks use less room, but if they have to spend time confined it's better to have more room than less. With less room they will get into nasty vices like picking and pecking each other...
...of course, you always need more room for when 'chicken math' strikes....
thumbsup.gif

Lord - I'm moving in with your chickens! :D   For large fowl - inside coop should be around 8 sq.ft/bird; outside minimum is around 10 sq.ft/bird. so I think you have enough room. Many folks use less room, but if they have to spend time confined it's better to have more room than less. With less room they will get into nasty vices like picking and pecking each other...
...of course, you always need more room for when 'chicken math' strikes....:thumbsup

lol so glad to know it's enough room!! Fencing in the top of it all for such a large area is gonna be a pain but I'm thinking if we do it in sections it might not be as bad

lol so glad to know it's enough room!! Fencing in the top of such a large area will be a pain but I'm thinking if we do it in sections, maybe it won't be so bad.

Back
Top Bottom