How not to ship eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvzmybabz, Dec 2, 2007.

1. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    This is one way not to ship eggs with wal mart plastic bags as packing cuchion and eggs wrapped in 2 paper towels each as cushion placed right next to each other in box. Out of a doxen 2 were smashed and 3 or 4 had hairline or possible hairline cracks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'm really sorry about your eggs. I am glad to know however, that the world dominance rumor about Walmart may not be 100% feasible....maybe you can scramble the eggs for breakfast?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I hope they didn't charge you for handling fees! I got some wrapped kind of like that once.....didn't make me happy!!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Kasi, you weren't kidding, that is bad. I'm sorry about your experience. I've never seen anyone do that. I agree, an excellent example of what NOT to do!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have never seen eggs packed like that before [​IMG]

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    That's just a person being to cheap to buy the right packing materials. Small roll of bubble wrap is $6 at office depot might even be a little cheaper at walmart! Sorry about your eggs I had someone once only wrap the middle of the eggs and left the ends open. I could smell the box before it was handed to me. If it was me I wouldn't buy from them again.

7. speckledhen

I use extra heavy duty bubblewrap that Walmart doesn't even sell and I swear by it to get my eggs to where they're going without a hitch, as long as a truck doesn't run over the box. Seems like a lazy packer to me.

8. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Shipping eggs can be very stressful.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  9. speckledhen

I'm the same way, Mel. I sent 22 eggs from TN (I live near the state line in GA) to Washington State, paid $16 for Priority with confirmation. They sent them parcel post, instead! Took a solid week to get there! None cracked and no blown aircells, but she hasn't gotten to the first candling yet. In a case like that, packing can make all the difference, don't you agree?

10. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I do agree - I will be sitting on pins & needles until "Henrietta66"
    gets her eggs and tells me thay are OK..

And next time I will use my own stuff. I also don't like shipping 2 dozen.
    I have a great system for sending a MAX of 16 silkies eggs.
    Guess I am one of those people that can't change the details.

THIS IS ME [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by