How should I feed my chickens a pumpkin? They are eating the pumpkin!!

M To The Maxx

Baseball+Girls=Life
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Lutz,FL
I have heard it is like an organic wormer. Also it is tha time of year for pumpkins. I am going to get my chickens a pumpkin later. How should I feed it to them? Should I cut it in half and feed them one half today one half tomorrow? What way do you feed a pumpkin to your chickens?

Last edited:
Any way you want to! Half today half tomorrow is fine, all up to you. They should be super cheap or free if you know anyone who grows em or the produce manager at a grocery store, get a bunch, they last a long time in a cool spot so you have some for later.

A few years ago I planted several kinds of pumpkins. I left them outside as Fall decor and the squirrels found them. They started gnawing at only one variety. Later I remembered that variety was meant for pie baking because it was sweeter.

Last winter, when I started decorating for Christmas, I set my fall decor pumpkins outside for the squirrels. I was surprised because my hens walked up and immediately started pecking through the rind to eat them. I didn't even need to bust them open.

I grew more pumpkins this year and will set them out as needed for my girls. They don't seem interested in them right now because they have grass and weeds in the yard still. Another month and they'll go wild over them.

my garden this year grew 1 potato and 1pumpkin. I gave the pumpkin to GGD to carve, she brought all the insides out and the chickens covered them, would not let the guians get anywhere near them,later she brought over the pumplin told her to just throw it over the fence into the run somebody will eat it. marrie

We cut up one of the pumpkins we bought here they are eating.

37500_sdc10309.jpg

37500_sdc10308.jpg

Alex always has to get in front of the camera.

37500_sdc10307.jpg

37500_sdc10306.jpg

They love it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom