How smart are deer ?

I think you need to lure him inside somewhere and hide him until the season is over.

I told the membership at large that I was going to get 22 birdshot and start shooting him in order to educate that 'man' is bad. :p Interestingly he seems to be far more wily every time that I have seen him this year. Thought it might be because he was in velvet, but last night his antlers appeared polished, and he was very alert and spooking when he crossed the lane.

Sounds like the Texas deer are real wimps, crawling on their bellies to avoid hunters.
How does that make you feel Sean?
No dd, they are highly intelligent. They have also gone nocturnal to avoid human contact, sometimes they just stand perfectly still till a hunter passes by, so me thinks their pretty dog gone smart.

Hunters around here will tell you some funny stories about bucks. One friend told us that he was in his blind one day watching an area that he knew deer bedded down it. The thicket was dense brambles. He watched a buck approach the thicket, look around, drop down on it's knees and crawl into the brambles. He said all you could see was the tips of his antlers sticking up above the thicket.

I've seen does run across the road in front of me while cycling, run into corn fields where the corn was hip high, look around and drop down between the rows. Deer? What deer? No deer here, move along.

The old joke around where we live is your best chance of getting a deer is the first 48 hours of the rifle season. After that they disappear in caves. Actually they go nocturnal unless they are deep in rut. I set one beautiful Sunday morning in our timber, leaning back against a tree and watched a nice buck with only one 5 point antler amble along the neighbor's side of the fence. He stopped, looked at me a few times, sniffed the air, all the while I had him in my sights muttering, 'jump the fence, jump the fence, jump the bleepin' fence!' as I hadn't talked to our neighbor about such a contingency. He still looked at me like he was saying 'neener neener neener, can't shoot me' and slowly walked away sticking to that fence line.

Reminds me. I gotta talk to the neighbor before rifle season.

Back
Top Bottom