davidmpenning

Songster
Mar 12, 2019
Michigan
As I’ve been researching which DP to get for meat birds, I keep coming across people saying to make sure to buy from a breeder. It sounds like some hatcheries are good, but breeders (breeding for meat quality) should be better.

I’ve searched on other websites and here on BYC, on Facebook and Google searches, and I’m having a really hard time finding breeders. If breeders are the best way to go, how do I find them?

I’m looking specifically at 4 main breeds:
1. Delaware
2. Buckeye
3. Naked Neck/Turken
4. Dorking

If you know of breeders for these birds - or hatcheries that have good meat stock - could you please post a link or a name?? I’d either get this flock later this summer/fall or next spring, depending on what’s available and when. Also, I’m in Michigan, so I’d be willing to drive a ways to pick these up if a breeder won’t ship, but I couldn’t make it across the country.

Thanks!!!

Check out the National livestock conservancy breeder list in your state.
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/breeders-directory
I’ve done this and I did find a couple of Buckeye breeders within 100 miles, but nothing for the other breeds.

I guess I could increase the distance from me, but then I’m also starting to make sure breeders ship, too. And that feels tedious and would take forever, basically looking up each individual breeder (potentially every breeder listed in the US) and checking to see if they ship.

Still, this at least gives me an option! I’m still hoping for something easier/quicker. Thanks so much :)

If your not showing or want to become a breeder yourself there's no use in paying breeder prices or the legwork. And honestly alot of times when people find a "breeder" they learn down the road with gaining experience and knowledge of the breed that what you have isn't quite what you thought in regards to quality

If your not showing or want to become a breeder yourself there's no use in paying breeder prices or the legwork. And honestly alot of times when people find a "breeder" they learn down the road with gaining experience and knowledge of the breed that what you have isn't quite what you thought in regards to quality
I don’t need show quality, but I would like to breed for sustainability for meat. I’ve read many stories about how hatchery birds, even after 3-5 years of breeding, still dwarf in comparison with the amount of meat a breeder bird has.
I’ll eventually do some crossing, so I’m not worried about 100% show standards, but I’d like to start with birds as purebred as possible and bigger than the horror stories I’ve read.

I don’t need show quality, but I would like to breed for sustainability for meat. I’ve read many stories about how hatchery birds, even after 3-5 years of breeding, still dwarf in comparison with the amount of meat a breeder bird has.
I’ll eventually do some crossing, so I’m not worried about 100% show standards, but I’d like to start with birds as purebred as possible and bigger than the horror stories I’ve read.
I think the Delawares from Freedom Ranger look promising for dual purpose. I am getting some in a couple weeks. I plan on mixing them with the New Hampshires also form freedom ranger. This will make heritage sex links. Boys should grow fairly well and girls should be excellent layers. While producing sex links, I will also line breed some pure NHs for fast growth and size, improving my meat birds growth. The females can replenish layer flock or be sold as sexed girls for some feed money. This is my plan for a sustainable dual purpose flock. I am getting a dozen of each breed on July 15th. Just some food for thought!

I think the Delawares from Freedom Ranger look promising for dual purpose. I am getting some in a couple weeks. I plan on mixing them with the New Hampshires also form freedom ranger. This will make heritage sex links. Boys should grow fairly well and girls should be excellent layers. While producing sex links, I will also line breed some pure NHs for fast growth and size, improving my meat birds growth. The females can replenish layer flock or be sold as sexed girls for some feed money. This is my plan for a sustainable dual purpose flock. I am getting a dozen of each breed on July 15th. Just some food for thought!
Oh my goodness, this was literally my exact same plan a few days ago - same birds, same hatchery, same crosses and everything! The only reason I didn’t go through with an order is because I started seeing comments about the NHs, how they need feed restricted as they get older and how they lack much more than expected in the breast meat.

I’d be interested in following your journey. Based on all the research and reading I’ve done, and communication I’ve had, I think you’ve got one of the best, if not the best, plans for this!!!

Oh my goodness, this was literally my exact same plan a few days ago - same birds, same hatchery, same crosses and everything! The only reason I didn’t go through with an order is because I started seeing comments about the NHs, how they need feed restricted as they get older and how they lack much more than expected in the breast meat.

I’d be interested in following your journey. Based on all the research and reading I’ve done, and communication I’ve had, I think you’ve got one of the best, if not the best, plans for this!!!
Thank you very much. It will be a long term project for sure but I am excited to embark on it. I will be keeping about half the chicks for breeding and processing the rest. I honestly pressure can most of my chicken meat so shredded legs and wings are where its at for me. I like a roasted bone in breast every once in a while but it is just me and my wife so we don't need a huge one to feed us. I will for sure make a thread about the whole thing when they arrive!

Back
Top Bottom