I don’t need show quality, but I would like to breed for sustainability for meat. I’ve read many stories about how hatchery birds, even after 3-5 years of breeding, still dwarf in comparison with the amount of meat a breeder bird has.
I’ll eventually do some crossing, so I’m not worried about 100% show standards, but I’d like to start with birds as purebred as possible and bigger than the horror stories I’ve read.
Breeder birds will do the same thing becoming smaller is from how tightly bred a bird is rather than who bred it. That can be done with hatchery or breeder birds

Thank you very much. It will be a long term project for sure but I am excited to embark on it. I will be keeping about half the chicks for breeding and processing the rest. I honestly pressure can most of my chicken meat so shredded legs and wings are where its at for me. I like a roasted bone in breast every once in a while but it is just me and my wife so we don't need a huge one to feed us. I will for sure make a thread about the whole thing when they arrive!
you know i will be following this closely too

As I’ve been researching which DP to get for meat birds, I keep coming across people saying to make sure to buy from a breeder. It sounds like some hatcheries are good, but breeders (breeding for meat quality) should be better.

I’ve searched on other websites and here on BYC, on Facebook and Google searches, and I’m having a really hard time finding breeders. If breeders are the best way to go, how do I find them?

I’m looking specifically at 4 main breeds:
1. Delaware
2. Buckeye
3. Naked Neck/Turken
4. Dorking

If you know of breeders for these birds - or hatcheries that have good meat stock - could you please post a link or a name?? I’d either get this flock later this summer/fall or next spring, depending on what’s available and when. Also, I’m in Michigan, so I’d be willing to drive a ways to pick these up if a breeder won’t ship, but I couldn’t make it across the country.

Thanks!!!
You may want to check out the Exhibition forums for leads on breeders with high quality stock as well.

Obviously, starting with Show Birds/SOP isn't a guarantee of future success, and greatly increases start up costs - your selections moving forward will have a huge and growing impact - but at least you won't be starting (as I did) with "sub par"

You may want to check out the Exhibition forums for leads on breeders with high quality stock as well.

Obviously, starting with Show Birds/SOP isn't a guarantee of future success, and greatly increases start up costs - your selections moving forward will have a huge and growing impact - but at least you won't be starting (as I did) with "sub par"
Thanks for the link! It looks promising, too.

What did you start with that was sub-par - and did you get it from a hatchery?

Thanks for the link! It looks promising, too.

What did you start with that was sub-par - and did you get it from a hatchery?

so as not to hijack, but to do you the courtesy of an answer -

"Yes, Hatchery Birds, mostly hybrids and "named" Barnyard mixes." I've started a thread about it as a warning to others. ;) In seven months, I've produced two attractive birds, none matching more than a couple check boxes towards my end goals, but its progress.

Back
Top Bottom