How to get hens to lay eggs again?

I was just feeding them feed from tractor supply with 16% protein. Also was giving left over scrapes that was healthy when we had some such as cabbage, strawberries, tomatoes, apples etc. but only giving those treats in moderation. They had plenty of water as well. We don’t allow free ranging all the time due to coyotes & foxes where we live. They do have a run, and I’ve checked for eggs that might have been laid on the ground and those hens have yet to lay a single egg. I can only hope that those 3 hens aren’t “duds”. I’m sure they will lay this spring/summer, right? I started them on a higher protein chicken feed this week, and started oyster shells. I hope this helps.
I would switch temporarily to a higher protein starter or all-flock feed. Since none are laying, their kidneys are getting worked hard to rid them of the extra calcium. The extra protein won't hurt onset of ovulation at all.

We are at 10 hours,10 minutes of daylight now so we are at a similar latitude. It will be 11 hours by February 21. That rapid rise in day length should be enough to kick start the most obstinate of malingerers.
I have two pullets that hatched early last summer and never laid but in just the last week or so they and some of the older hens started/resumed.

Patience is a virtue, and I want it NOW!

I have a few hens that will be 2 in June of this year. But they randomly stopped laying once I had a broody hen and haven’t laid since. So they stopped laying around August- so about 5 months now. I also had a few hens who was younger, and will be turning 1 in March. I guess I expected them to lay some last year but they still to this day haven’t laid me a single egg and they’re almost 1 year old. So I have 6 hens who aren’t laying. Where I live we get about 10 hours of sunlight and our weather is currently ranging the lows of 30s & highs of 50/55s. I would really like to see my hens start laying soon or possibly early spring. What can I do to help encourage them to lay? I went today and bought some new chicken feed with higher protein and oyster shells. Is there anything else I can do?
Following, I haven’t had any problems at all, This is puzzling, could they possibly be roos?
I’m very interested in following your experience 😢

I have a few hens that will be 2 in June of this year. But they randomly stopped laying once I had a broody hen and haven’t laid since. So they stopped laying around August- so about 5 months now. I also had a few hens who was younger, and will be turning 1 in March. I guess I expected them to lay some last year but they still to this day haven’t laid me a single egg and they’re almost 1 year old. So I have 6 hens who aren’t laying. Where I live we get about 10 hours of sunlight and our weather is currently ranging the lows of 30s & highs of 50/55s. I would really like to see my hens start laying soon or possibly early spring. What can I do to help encourage them to lay? I went today and bought some new chicken feed with higher protein and oyster shells. Is there anything else I can do?
The amount of daylight is important but the primary influencer is whether days are getting longer or shorter vis a vis hours of darkness.

We bought 4 hens from a farmer, said to be 2-3 years old, and good layers. Gold laced Wyandotte. They each laid an egg the first week, and none for the next month. Now it's past summer solstice, and I'm getting concerned. How long does it take to get over the trauma of being moved. They used to be free range and now in a 4x12 run. Was it a mistake to get laying hens that age?

We bought 4 hens from a farmer, said to be 2-3 years old, and good layers. Gold laced Wyandotte. They each laid an egg the first week, and none for the next month. Now it's past summer solstice, and I'm getting concerned. How long does it take to get over the trauma of being moved. They used to be free range and now in a 4x12 run. Was it a mistake to get laying hens that age?
How are they doing behavior wise, any issues?

Have you purchased from this farmer before? It's near impossible to judge the age of older birds so there's no way to tell how honest he was about their ages.

How are they doing behavior wise, any issues?

Have you purchased from this farmer before? It's near impossible to judge the age of older birds so there's no way to tell how honest he was about their ages.
They seem to be going into a molt. Not common in June, is it? Or can stress bring on a molt? I have no idea! I'm thinking they are older than he remembered. Not a case of dishonesty, as he has had a good reputation in town, but a case of "forgetfulness" at 86. Time flies faster than we think!

Do you know for a fact how old the pullets were when you bought them? It's hard to age a chicken. I have 2 7 mo old birds who haven't laid yet. No squatting or anything but their combs are red like they are laying. It's very weird. Mine are penned so I know they aren't sneaking off. I hatched mine so I know their exact age.
You can try cayenne in their feed. I've done it in the past and it does work but I live in Vegas so it's never 0 °
How much cayenne and for how long? I bought some today just for my girls!

Back
Top Bottom