How to introduce chicks while managing aggressive roosters?

JacobH28

Chirping
May 6, 2023
Senoia, Georgia
Hello all! I am going to have some brand-new babies In a few days, and even more in a couple of weeks. We are in the process of selling some roosters from our first hatch. How can I help prevent any chicks from injury/death while figuring out our 3 other roos? Thanks, BYC folks.

Hello all! I am going to have some brand-new babies In a few days, and even more in a couple of weeks. We are in the process of selling some roosters from our first hatch. How can I help prevent any chicks from injury/death while figuring out our 3 other roos? Thanks, BYC folks.
I have had aggressive roosters before, but never have I had them "attack" a hen or little one. I've always been scared it may happen, but no.

With that said, you only have 2 options to make sure your new additions are safe 100%

1. Cull and eat the roosters.
2. Seperate the roosters from the flock as you are waiting to sell.

Thank you!!! My roosters have and still do attack my hens every once and a while, so I will likely have to sell them as quickly as possible. They are aggressive because there is an uneven rooster-to-hen ratio (I believe mine is 4:12, so it's not good at all) I am keeping my Welsummer roo though. Once again, thanks for the help!

Thank you!!! My roosters have and still do attack my hens every once in a while, so I will likely have to sell them as quickly as possible. They are aggressive because there is an uneven rooster-to-hen ratio (I believe mine is 4:12, so it's not good at all) I am keeping my Welsummer roo though. Once again, thanks for the help!
So I know it isn't conventional, but I have never been one for rooster hen ratio. But, here is what we have found in order to get the absolute best roosters. (Long post because I love them so much)

Our flock started like most all, with hatchery chicks. At one point, we decided that we were going to become as natural and self sufficient as possible. Which meant no more hatchery chicks. So we started incubating eggs. On the second generation of incubated eggs, we noticed we were getting more and more broody hens (natural instinct some how "bred out" at a hatchery) So, we allowed the hens to hatch their own eggs. With all that said, we are on our 4th generation at this point, and the most incredible thing are the roosters. They have become such a complex bird, I am constantly fascinated by them. The are so instinctual and the only word the comes to mind is stoic. Our main rooster from the third gen batch, is 13lbs and crows maybe 3 times a day. He will only mate once in the morning with the same 6 hens who almost line up for him, and the best part - he is as tame as a dog. This is despite hatching under a broody hen and never being held once affectionately.

Ultimately, unlike hatchery roosters, he KNOWS he is bad to the bone and doesn't need to spend a majority of his day proving it. He recognizes I am dominant over him, and submits. And amongst the other roosters, there is a very clear, well established pecking order and hen division - no fighting anywhere (my son has a hobby "bantam" flock. Those little turds do sometimes stir up some dissension, but that is about it)

In the end, I know roosters have a reputation in general, but I believe the over breeding and designer breeding at Hatcheries has really diluted who they really are. You need to get 2 or three generations away from them to get back to how they are supposed to tend their flock.

Here is said rooster (can't talk about him that way and not post a pic, right?!) His name is Avi and he hatched last January. A true mutt, but an absolutle monster. The biggest chicken I have ever seen.

Attachments

• BF48D647-2E49-4D8D-9D78-C0413201AE1A.jpeg
    BF48D647-2E49-4D8D-9D78-C0413201AE1A.jpeg
    819.3 KB · Views: 3
They are aggressive because there is an uneven rooster-to-hen ratio (I believe mine is 4:12, so it's not good at all)
No. Has nothing to do with a ratio. It's what multiple males often do.

I am keeping my Welsummer roo though.
Get rid of all the rest. Immediately separate until they can be permanently culled.

Thank you!!! My roosters have and still do attack my hens every once and a while, so I will likely have to sell them as quickly as possible. They are aggressive because there is an uneven rooster-to-hen ratio (I believe mine is 4:12, so it's not good at all) I am keeping my Welsummer roo though. Once again, thanks for the help!
This rooster to hen ratio business has nothing to do with social living. It came about as far as I can gather because it is believed that one rooster can fertilize a given number of hens and for some keeping conditons that is all that is required of a rooster. Given roosters don't lay eggs the minimum number of non laying roosters to laying hens became the recommended.

The natural social arrangement is one rooster to one or two hens. Many serious breeders keep one rooster to three hens and that seems to work well for them.

This rooster to hen ratio business has nothing to do with social living. It came about as far as I can gather because it is believed that one rooster can fertilize a given number of hens and for some keeping conditons that is all that is required of a rooster. Given roosters don't lay eggs the minimum number of non laying roosters to laying hens became the recommended.

The natural social arrangement is one rooster to one or two hens. Many serious breeders keep one rooster to three hens and that seems to work well for them.
Thanks!! This helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom