How to make my chicken stop laying egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think plant foods can provide most nutrients and vitamins that a human needs. Thus it is not necessary to kill something to get what a person needs. Whatever a person lacks from eating only plant foods can be made up by eating natural or synthetic vitamins. If I am not mistaken there is a way to obtain those without killing animals.
Yes, instead of eating the chickens I raise and nurture with good food and care I am going to go buy a synthetic man made thing because that's better for me?? Yeah, no thanks... People that choose to not eat meat of course have that choice and more power to them, but to make the above blanket statement is wrong. Please don't promote your choices on others.

Maybe the best way to solve my problem is to seperate my hen and rooster. However, I still won't eat my chickens fertilized egg.

unless its by immaculate conception if you remove your rooster in short time your hens eggs wouldn't be fertilized.

Maybe the best way to solve my problem is to seperate my hen and rooster. However, I still won't eat my chickens fertilized egg.
You could always get your rooster caponized if there is a vet that specializes in chickens and has the knowledge to do it. OR you could learn to do it and just it yourself. That will make your hens' eggs infertile, but that will not stop them from laying eggs. Just like every species of life, it has to expel her eggs in some manner. Women have monthly menstrual cycles to expel old uterine lining and such... Hens kind of have to do the same thing with themselves (ok. bad comparison, but you get it, hopefully).
What I'm getting at, is that the hens are going to lay eggs until either 1) they get egg bound (and die if not taken care of promptly), or 2) expel all of their eggs. Hens are only provided with so many eggs in their lifetime, if I recall correctly. There are a few breeds that lay for only a couple of years and then they don't lay anymore. Maybe you should trade out your young hens and get older, non-laying hens. There really is no form of "birth control" that you can HUMANELY administer on a chicken.

FYI, if you decide to just separate your rooster from the hens, the eggs will be again infertile after about 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly. Also, you would want to give your rooster some form of companionship because that is NOT fair to him to keep him separated from his own kind. It's in his natural instinct to want to be the leader of that flock of hens, as it is ingrained in him to protect the hens. You could get another rooster to be his friend, but if they are kept near the hens, they may still fight over them and this could be a deadly result..

Another option you might consider is just taking the eggs and burying them or putting them in a composting pile. I'm sure that the ground will benefit from the many nutrients that eggs can provide.
smile.png

If u want her to stop laying u can put her in a bucking of ice cool water tht should help but u do have to remember tht wht they do if the eggs are fettles let them be in there they don't get tht brudy untill they have a full nest bc In the wild most of them will die

If u want her to stop laying u can put her in a bucking of ice cool water tht should help but u do have to remember tht wht they do if the eggs are fettles let them be in there they don't get tht brudy untill they have a full nest bc In the wild most of them will die
Huh?

(I keep telling myself, "Back away from this thread..." and yet, for some reason I can't. It's kinda like watching a train wreck. I just can't help myself.)
gig.gif

Last edited:
Huh?

(I keep telling myself, "Back away from this thread..." and yet, for some reason I can't. It's kinda like watching a train wreck. I just can't help myself.)
gig.gif

Hey, a bucket of ice cold water could certainly stop her from laying. I don't think hens will lay after a heart attack.

I keep coming back to check too, please, I need help, lol.

Read this thread.... Can't stop laughing
gig.gif
Classic!

I suggest you find an avian vet that MAY spay / neuter your hens & rooster.

Then you will remove the whole reproduction process BUT it will be expensive if you can even do it.

Also strict vegan diets can be detrimental to your health in the long term (just as a heads up) since humans are omnivorous & require certain proteins, amino acids etc which are found only in meat.
It depends on your location & ancestors diet whether or not you thrive on a vegan diet.

Personally I know 4 people who made the vegan switch & only 1 did well on it & she was of Chinese descent.
The other 3 friends who did the switch (english & african descent) were fine at first but then began to complain of "cravings" for meat & health / concentration problems began to show from poor diet about 3 years into the switch... that's how I found out from discussions with them after one visited a nutritionist.
They were disappointed in themselves, but relieved to. One friend described it as "like needing a fag, but its meat!"

Personally, I struggle to eat large amounts of vegetables & thrive on a mainly meat / animal sourced diet with a little veg on the side & I come from a long history of self meat farmers. Eating too much veg upsets my stomach & I feel ill if its all I eat for a while. So I could not opt for Vegan even if I wanted to.
Its not always a choice for some people.

I hope you can sort out your birds & don't feel guilty if you do decide to eat the eggs. Its not as though your supporting battery farming etc. You are sourcing your own food & you should be proud of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom