How to make my chicken stop laying egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think eating fertilized eggs of chicken has no respect for the life inside an egg. I can't think of any other way. At least it is better than killing something. If I have enough broody hens in the future, then I can just put some of her eggs for them to incubate. Another solution might be to buy incubator. Wouldn't that be a better solution? I am just brainlisting atm, which means I don't have a final decision yet.

If you take the rooster away from her which has been suggested MANY times then you wouldn't have fertilized eggs... I do not care whether the eggs I eat are fertilized or not as long as they come from the hens I raise on my property.

You very well could incubate each and every egg your hen produces and sell the chicks or keep them... Go back and re-read each and every post, I did... It stands to reason you aren't more than 16 at the most. You have had some very very good advice but you keep arguing the same point over and over and over.. we get it, you don't want to kill potential life , your brainstorming on how to "fix" the problem wont work, regardless of what you do a hen is born to lay an egg almost everyday for several years. either do as another suggest and get an old hen or keep only roosters.

Like I said, get yourself a Silkie or a Cochin that has been confirmed to be a good broody.
I think it is uncommon if not rare to see someone selling a cochin or silike in Oahu. My mom bought one last year and she didn't see one in the same pet store for several months after buying it. In fact she is incubating eggs right now. However I think mainland hatcheries doesn't ship chicks to Hawaii, and she doesn't want me to use her credit card to buy something. Do you know of any other humane solution for my problem?

I think it is uncommon if not rare to see someone selling a cochin or silike in Oahu. My mom bought one last year and she didn't see one in the same pet store for several months after buying it. In fact she is incubating eggs right now. However I think mainland hatcheries doesn't ship chicks to Hawaii, and she doesn't want me to use her credit card to buy something. Do you know of any other humane solution for my problem?
No, don't try pet shops, they're the most limited resource. (not to mention often inhumane) Post an ad in the paper, look a little further outside your neighborhood, and you'll find someone with a good broody. Many people are more than willing to give away a good broody, because they're concerned about "good egg production" and they don't see the value in their hen.

Not going to start a debate, but I believe that fertilized egg isn't actually a life, it's a potential to become a life.  Or your breakfast. :p  You should definitely buy an incubator if you want to hatch chicks but have no broodies.  Or just buy a Silkie or Cochin, same thing as an incubator anyways, but they also function as brooders! :gig
Look, let's be nice. :old   Everyone has different opinions, please respect that.

Like I said. :)

Last edited:
Kind, trustworthy chicken keepers aren't hard to find. Post an ad on the Buy~Sell~Trade section of BYC stressing that you don't want your hen to be used for meat. Tons of people will jump at your offer, it's really hard to rehome roosters!

Everybody can change their belief because of influence. How would you guarantee that they won't change their mind in the future. How would I know for sure that they are not lying, when in fact deception is widely used in this world just to help them obtain what they want. For instance, someone is trying to find a serious relationship online, and finds a person who promises to be faithful to her, but later on they broke up because of cheating or not getting what they want, like sex or money etc. I am sure that a big percentage of people doesn't fulfill their promises, about being faithful in a relationship. I think it is the same thing with that website. I think the best way to know for sure, is if I really know that person personally. Same thing about the process of finding the right partner. Know them first especially their real propose of why they want to be in a relationship before being in a relationship, to lower down the chances of being heartbroken and bad problems. Note: That is what I believe the right thing to do, even though I have never been in a relationship. I don't have time to know those people in Oahu personally, it is costly(travel back and forth) several times and I won't take even the slightest risk of making the wrong choice.

Everybody can change their belief because of influence. How would you guarantee that they won't change their mind in the future. How would I know for sure that they are not lying, when in fact deception is widely used in this world just to help them obtain what they want. For instance, someone is trying to find a serious relationship online, and finds a person who promises to be faithful to her, but later on they broke up because of cheating or not getting what they want, like sex or money etc. I am sure that a big percentage of people doesn't fulfill their promises, about being faithful in a relationship. I think it is the same thing with that website. I think the best way to know for sure, is if I really know that person personally. Same thing about the process of finding the right partner. Know them first especially their real propose of why they want to be in a relationship before being in a relationship, to lower down the chances of being heartbroken and bad problems. Note: That is what I believe the right thing to do, even though I have never been in a relationship. I don't have time to know those people in Oahu personally, it is costly(travel back and forth) several times and I won't take even the slightest risk of making the wrong choice.
The world is full of good people, and eating pet chickens is way less common than you think. You will definitely want to meet the person and their flock (if they have one) before you give a beloved pet away. I know how hard it is to give away a pet, so I would just stick with allowing your hen to do what she does naturally, and let her lay those eggs. She would keep laying eggs if you gave her away, anyways, and sending her off to someone else just because you don't want to deal with her eggs is quite selfish on your part. Just let her lay those eggs. I promise you she is fine with it.

Your looking for a broody in Hawaii. Well your not looking very hard:\
~ Mar 21 2 Young Purebred Buff Orpington Hens $25 (mt view) pic map farm & garden
- by owner Mar 18 Fertile Black Copper Marans Eggs $6 (Kaneohe) pic farm & garden
- by owner Feb 26 Silkie Chicks Black \ Gold $5 (Kurtistown) farm & garden - by owner Feb 9 Laying silkies. Very tame and broody $1015 (Hilo) map farm & garden - by owner

No, don't try pet shops, they're the most limited resource. (not to mention often inhumane) Post an ad in the paper, look a little further outside your neighborhood, and you'll find someone with a good broody. Many people are more than willing to give away a good broody, because they're concerned about "good egg production" and they don't see the value in their hen.

Some problems that may arise, is that I don't know how to get in there, since I don't have a drivers license and my parents will certainly opposed taking me in there, they might have dormant but deadly illness. I am pretty sure, that it is easy to make a chicken not broody, by taking all of her eggs before she get broody. If they need it for egg production, then probably they won't sell it, or sell it for a high price. Most importantly though, broody hens know which place they lay their egg, so they will not incubate it, if the place where they incubate their eggs is different( at least few feet away from original place), while some doesn't want to incubate the egg if it isn't her own egg. If I could find one near my neighborhood, it would probably take at least 2 weeks from now(assuming I asked them today that I want to buy their broody hens and let them incubate my hen's egg). I think my neighborhood eat their hens fertilized egg. Do you know of any other humane solution that could work less than a week from now?

Last edited:
Your looking for a broody in Hawaii. Well your not looking very hard:\
~ Mar 21 2 Young Purebred Buff Orpington Hens $25 (mt view) pic map farm & garden
- by owner Mar 18 Fertile Black Copper Marans Eggs $6 (Kaneohe) pic farm & garden
- by owner Feb 26 Silkie Chicks Black \ Gold $5 (Kurtistown) farm & garden - by owner Feb 9 Laying silkies. Very tame and broody $1015 (Hilo) map farm & garden - by owner

I don't know how to get in there, since I don't have a drivers licence, maybe I have to walk very far away to get there even if I take the bus, and my parent's will certainly not drive me to get in there. I certainly will not go to another island and pay hundreds of dollars and at then pay $1015 for it. I'd rather buy an incubator than buy that. Can you link the site in here. Thanks you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom