How to make sure my duck's toe doesn't get infected?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by torinunez, Jun 8, 2017.

1. torinunez

torinunez Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    While clipping my little ducks toenails, we accidently cut one a little too short and she started to bleed. We read on here that flour is one of the things that can stop bleeding so we've put that on and she hasn't bled anymore. What can I do to make sure it doesn't get infected. We're changing shavings more than usual so poop hopefully doesn't get in it, only let her walk inside the house rather than outside and let her swim in the tub rather than their pool but I don't know if all that is enough. Is there anything else I can do?

2. wynn4578

wynn4578 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Put an antibiotic ointment on it 2 times a day and keep it clean. If possible put a small price of gauze on it and wrap it with vet wrap but since it's the end of the toe your duck will probably just shake or pick it off.

torinunez likes this.
  3. torinunez

Jun 4, 2017
    Where can I get the antibiotic ointment? Just the pharmacy or at a farm supply?

4. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Any triple antibiotic ointment will work. Try to get one without any pain relievers. The ones specifically for chickens are always expensive. I usually just get an OTC from the store or pharmacy.

5. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    You can use neosporin for small cuts. My wife orders chlorhexidine from amazon for treating anything more serious.

6. torinunez

Jun 4, 2017
    Perfect I have neosporin without the pain reliever, thank you!

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You do not need to trim their toes nails...They naturally wear down....

GiggleOinkQuack likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by