How to make sure my duck's toe doesn't get infected?

torinunez

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2017
While clipping my little ducks toenails, we accidently cut one a little too short and she started to bleed. We read on here that flour is one of the things that can stop bleeding so we've put that on and she hasn't bled anymore. What can I do to make sure it doesn't get infected. We're changing shavings more than usual so poop hopefully doesn't get in it, only let her walk inside the house rather than outside and let her swim in the tub rather than their pool but I don't know if all that is enough. Is there anything else I can do?

Put an antibiotic ointment on it 2 times a day and keep it clean. If possible put a small price of gauze on it and wrap it with vet wrap but since it's the end of the toe your duck will probably just shake or pick it off.

Put an antibiotic ointment on it 2 times a day and keep it clean. If possible put a small price of gauze on it and wrap it with vet wrap but since it's the end of the toe your duck will probably just shake or pick it off.
Where can I get the antibiotic ointment? Just the pharmacy or at a farm supply?

Where can I get the antibiotic ointment? Just the pharmacy or at a farm supply?

Any triple antibiotic ointment will work. Try to get one without any pain relievers. The ones specifically for chickens are always expensive. I usually just get an OTC from the store or pharmacy.

Back
Top Bottom