how to prevent a aggressive cockerel

It sounds as if the silkie is developing into the sort of rooster you want to keep. I would get rid of the Cochin so that the silkie does not start copying his behavior.
exactly thats what i thought the silkie might copy the cochin and if i could some how make the cochin less aggressive it might help the silkie not be like that

he is been getting worse the cochin bantam and in on my nerves he wont let me take a small step without being attacked my parents are leaning towards giving him away(will get turned into a soup) or we have a soup now i dont want to do that to him hes just doing what roosters do so he attacked me and i just put him in a jail for a hour is that ok?

He's being a total jerk, and you aren't having a good time out there. The other birds aren't all that pleased either, no doubt, and having the attack bird gone will be your best option.
Here we have learned that zero tolerance for ugly behavior is best, in the short and long run, and our cockerels are not human aggressive. Any that injure flockmates, or take us on, won't be staying around.
Mary

He's being a total jerk, and you aren't having a good time out there. The other birds aren't all that pleased either, no doubt, and having the attack bird gone will be your best option.
Here we have learned that zero tolerance for ugly behavior is best, in the short and long run, and our cockerels are not human aggressive. Any that injure flockmates, or take us on, won't be staying around.
Mary
he is fine with the hens but not humans but i feel bad that he will have to loose his life just because i couldnt put up with him

he is fine with the hens but not humans but i feel bad that he will have to loose his life just because i couldnt put up with him
No, if he’s attacking you then he is not a good rooster.
I have had 2 cockerels attack me and my daughter (whose almost 2) and there is a 0 tolerance for that type of behavior.
Nothing but a predator should attack when unprovoked and unfortunately chickens are at the bottom of the chain.
There is nothing you can do to change the behavior - if they attack once and succeed they will continue to attack and they will become more and more brutal and all it takes it them catching you off guard once to cause serious damage.

no my silkie isnt aggressive but my cochin bantam is very aggressive so do i just fight back or? he runs and chases but i try to ignore him was that wrong?
Get some gloves long sleeves and grab him. Then gently hold his head to the ground for a minute or so and pet him. He will get the message after one or more times of doing this. You’re lucky you’ve got a little silky. We currently got a big black Orpington.

Get some gloves long sleeves and grab him. Then gently hold his head to the ground for a minute or so and pet him. He will get the message after one or more times of doing this. You’re lucky you’ve got a little silky. We currently got a big black Orpington.
i just ignored him but a couple of days back we cu his tail because it was all messed up now he doesnt attack anymore but tries to

i just ignored him but a couple of days back we cu his tail because it was all messed up now he doesnt attack anymore but tries to
How does a rooster 'not attack but tries to'?

Do you mean he attacks but does not succeed in injuring you? That is still attacking, like saying "a guy tried to hit me, but I ducked". He tried and wants to do damage.

Eventually an attacking rooster will succeed if he isn't stopped, by a broomstick or axe to the neck.

How does a rooster 'not attack but tries to'?

Do you mean he attacks but does not succeed in injuring you? That is still attacking, like saying "a guy tried to hit me, but I ducked". He tried and wants to do damage.

Eventually an attacking rooster will succeed if he isn't stopped, by a broomstick or axe to the neck.
he runs up to me but then backs down

I would not keep the silkie. He’s not “just doing what roosters do”. A good rooster is smart enough to know the difference between a real threat and the giant who brings food. When he’s busy attacking you, he’s not doing what a rooster should do, which is being alert for predators, calling the hens over for the tasty treats he just found, and paying attention to the flock in general.

Also, since you have found yourself with another male, you are going to have to figure out how to manage them once they’ve both reached full sexual maturity. There will likely be fights, and depending on how many hens you have, they may get run ragged. If you find yourself needing to get rid of one, I would suggest it be the one that attacks you. I think it’s a good thing that the other one moves away from you and respects your space. In my opinion, that’s a good rooster.

Back
Top Bottom