how to prevent a aggressive cockerel

I would not keep the silkie. He’s not “just doing what roosters do”. A good rooster is smart enough to know the difference between a real threat and the giant who brings food. When he’s busy attacking you, he’s not doing what a rooster should do, which is being alert for predators, calling the hens over for the tasty treats he just found, and paying attention to the flock in general.

Also, since you have found yourself with another male, you are going to have to figure out how to manage them once they’ve both reached full sexual maturity. There will likely be fights, and depending on how many hens you have, they may get run ragged. If you find yourself needing to get rid of one, I would suggest it be the one that attacks you. I think it’s a good thing that the other one moves away from you and respects your space. In my opinion, that’s a good rooster.
so silkie is the one almost just reaching maturity my bantam cochin is the one attacking im leaning towards either having the bantam as a breeding pair with one of my hens and keeping the silkie if he doesnt get aggressive

so silkie is the one almost just reaching maturity my bantam cochin is the one attacking im leaning towards either having the bantam as a breeding pair with one of my hens and keeping the silkie if he doesnt get aggressive
Oops! I got your birds mixed up. Keep the silkie. I would definitely not breed that bantam Cochin - I have not had an aggressive rooster in years, but people more knowledgeable than I am say that aggression can be an inherited trait. Would you really want that? And what would you do with the chicks you hatch? Especially the males? Sooner or later it becomes impossible (and expensive) to keep them all.

Oops! I got your birds mixed up. Keep the silkie. I would definitely not breed that bantam Cochin - I have not had an aggressive rooster in years, but people more knowledgeable than I am say that aggression can be an inherited trait. Would you really want that? And what would you do with the chicks you hatch? Especially the males? Sooner or later it becomes impossible (and expensive) to keep
im not sure what else to do with the bantam cochin we cant cull him because he weighs nothing and i dont want to give him away nor do i want his kids to have the same traits so what can i do? i was thinking maybe when he is older he wont be aggressive anymore

im not sure what else to do with the bantam cochin we cant cull him because he weighs nothing and i dont want to give him away nor do i want his kids to have the same traits so what can i do? i was thinking maybe when he is older he wont be aggressive anymore
He’d make good soup stock. Or fertilizer for a tree or bush. There is a difference between “can’t” and “don’t want to”. Chicken keeping can be a fun hobby, but sometimes you’ve got to make hard choices as well. Wishing and hoping don’t change reality.

If you send him off, do it with full disclosure!!! And to a place with no small children.
We've done this in the past, but no longer. And running at you and stopping short? This will turn into full on contact sometime.
Mary

ok so i have one VERY aggressive cochin/pekin bantam cockerel and we bought a black silkie pullet but turned out a male so i want to prevent him becoming wild and attacking he just started to learn how to mate and is still learning and he doesnt like to come near us or be held anything like that so what can i do to not make him aggressive? i heard treat roosters like chickens and treat hens like pets but im not so sure what to do
Seems to me like you need to read about Roosters. I just read through all of these threads and people are saying to either get rid of him, bc he’s not doing what a roosters does, or make him into soup. Which are all stupid. You want solid advice, don’t get it from those who don’t know Chicken behavior.
There are Rooster sanctuaries our there that re-educate fighting roosters, so if they can do that. Everyone else who owns one can too. I’m not a chicken behavior expert, but I have gotten some advice from sanctuaries. Picking them up and petting them/ feeding them a treat is a good bonding/ trust exercise. Roosters have personalities too. If he’s young, he’s going to be hormonal for some time, especially if he’s around hens. Again, I recommend you getting a book on chickens. Or google Rooster behavior.

Back
Top Bottom