How to Sex California White Chicks

ArcticMermaid

Chirping
Jun 7, 2015
North Carolina
I have 6 california white chicks 4 have spots on them and 2 don't. They are 2 days old in the pictures below one solid yellow is bigger and the wings are different it is only a few hours older than the other 5. The other 5 wings are all the same by the pictures can anyone tell me the sex of my chicks. The bigger chick is the one facing the water jar its wings is the following picture and the other 5's wings are like the last picture

Your California White chicks are too young to sex at this point. I would suggest re-posting their pics in a couple of months. By then the cockerels' combs should be reddening up and their gender should be should be much more obvious.

Last edited:
I agree, they're too young. The spots aren't linked to the gender of the birds at all. I'm not sure what cross made your birds so I don't know if they can be feather sexed at all.

If they are real california white, which is from leghorn x california grey, then they should be all females, because males are barred and females are white with black dots.

California Whites are not sex linked as it is the males which are California Greys and the females which are White Leghorns. To be sex linked the female must be the barred breed (California Grey in this case) but that is not how California Whites are bred.

Back
Top Bottom