How to stop broodiness? Please help!

Cocotte

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
One of my bantam cochins has been broody for two weeks now, and I've had enough! When her sister was recently broody, it lasted a week and then she gave up on it. But this one is determined! She just sits in the next box all day and puffs up her feathers and gives me dirty looks when I just look at her, and she'll peck us if we reach for her (not hard or anything, its kind of funny). We used to have one big communal next box that both cochin sisters used together just fine, but broody Candy is being mean and not letting Sprinkles in to lay, and poor Sprinkles started laying her egg in the coop in front of the next box. So we put a divider in and have two nest boxes. But Sprinkles still ends up laying her egg in front of the boxes (I guess Candy hogs the box she wants and won't let her in) and then Candy hops out and sits on Sprinkles' egg. I put a bunch of boards and stuff on the coop floor to discourage Sprinkles from laying eggs there and it worked, but when I took the boards out she went back to laying her eggs on the coop floor. I guess that's easier for her than dealing with Candy.

How can I stop this broodiness?? I take her out of the nest box and put her on the other side of the yard several times a day, but she just goes right back there. I don't want eggs laid on the coop floor to become a permanent habit.

edited to add: She'd better quit it soon, I've got two ameraucanas who are 19 weeks, and I want them to be able to lay eggs in the nest box when they start, and not end up laying somewhere else like the coop floor or the yard somewhere!

Please help!

Last edited:
I think I've got the same problem....but does no one have any answers? My black Australorpe has been in the nest all day today. I went out just now, 8:30 p.m. and just couldn't move her and I am sure there are 3 or 4 eggs under her from the other hens. Tomorrow I'll just lift her out so I can get the eggs....but won't she go right back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I do have a portable chicken tractor that I've never used....would this be a solution? Thanks!

I have heard a lot of people say to put them in an elevated cage for a few days, cools off their bum. If you don't have a cage, maybe putting her somewhere there is no nest for a few days might help. Another thing I have heard of is dunking them in cold water or putting a bag of frozen peas under her. I have never had a brooder so I don't know for sure. Just things I have read
big_smile.png

I'm going out there right now with a bag of frozen peas. I reached right under her this morning and pulled out 3 eggs, and also the fake wooden egg I was keeping in there. Thanks for the hints.

She seemed to enjoy the frozen peas. I guess I'll just stick my hand under her and grab any eggs and let her be broody. She has seemed to leave the nest BRIEFLY to eat and drink, so I am thinking I can just let her pretend she's going to be a Mama.

She seemed to enjoy the frozen peas. I guess I'll just stick my hand under her and grab any eggs and let her be broody. She has seemed to leave the nest BRIEFLY to eat and drink, so I am thinking I can just let her pretend she's going to be a Mama.

LOL, go figure!

I had a broody once as well (no roosters so it was pointless). I just forced her of the nest every time and she gave up after a while.

I know this sounds weird but I have tried it and had it work.I was told this by my great grandmother.She said a broody hens breast gets hot when shes broody and you need to cool it off to snap her out of it.I have held mine,breast only,in cold water a few times a day and they would stop.I don't know if it really does help take the heat out of their breast or just makes them mad or what.But it has worked several times for me.I do run them off the nest and try to keep eggs away from them that they might try to sit on.It hasn't stopped one from ever going back broody but it has lasted a few months.Might work for yours.Best of luck,and let us know if/what does work.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom