How to store feed to avoid mice poo and mold

noelalala

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
After finding mouse poo in our feed and millet, I bought a metal can for feed and seed treat storage.
One person suggested a plastic liner to help avoid moister condensation and mold.
And to mix in some diatemacious earth (sp) which I have. I have 2 kinds -- one is food grade and contains calcium bentonite, which seems like it could be useful. The other is Natural Guard Crawling Insect Control, which I sometimes sprinkle under the nesting material in the nesting boxes.

So, I'm wondering -- use the metal can with or without a plastic liner.
And add food grade DE to feed or not? I'm thinking the calcium bentonite may absorb moisture and the DE may be good for the birds.

: )
noel

I just keep my chickens feed in 5 gallon plastic buckets with very tight fitting lids. I've not seen any moisture which leads to mold in them to date. The plastic liner might work.

Last edited:
Metal trash cans to keep out the mice.

Then store the cans up off the ground in an area with good air flow. The reason for off the ground is so that the bottom end in contact with the floor won't be cooler than the rest of the can thus possibly leading to preferential condensation. The air flow is to keep the humidity lower.

As important as all of the above is not to keep months worth of milled feed if you live in a hot, humid climate. Here in Florida come late October I could buy and store an entire winter's worth of feed. But once the weather turns hot and humid I try not to have any milled feed around for longer than a month or so.

Also, carefully examine any feed you bring home. I deal with two feed stores who carry different brands. Every summer with one or the other I'll have to take a bag of feed back because it's either weevily or moldy. The weather is hot, humid, and if it has been sitting for a while it may go over.

Last edited:
I keep my feed in 5 gallon buckets too. I have a handy dandy lid remover that makes getting the lid off easier.

I store mine in metal drums, I don't use a liner and never use DE. I have never had a problem in my 30+ years of having poultry.

Chris

Thanks everyone! Very helpful!
I think I'll use the metal can and raise it off the ground since we have lots of high heat and humidity here in the summer.
I think it'll be easier for my kids to scoop if I opt not to use a liner, so I'll hold off on the liner for now.
Noel

Chris, when you say you never use DE, does that mean you think it's best not to? I don't know very much about it, but I believe I've heard that some people use it to avoid worms of whatever sorts chickens can get.
Our girls are in their coop more than i would like -- b/c of my daughter's anxiety that a predator will come and eat them. She happened to be the one to find a dead chicken 2 times.
We've since put up a barrier to protect them from aerial predators, but no way can I guarantee a fox won't come and have a meal.
So I keep them out as much as possible, but on some days they do spend a good bit of time in their coop - when no one's home. If hugs and cuddles make up for missed outside time, then we're in good shape. : )
They do have fresh air and indirect sunlight in the coop, just not the space and bugs hat outside affords.
So if I learn that DE in their feed is helpful, I will include it.
Noel

Chris, when you say you never use DE, does that mean you think it's best not to? I don't know very much about it, but I believe I've heard that some people use it to avoid worms of whatever sorts chickens can get.
Our girls are in their coop more than i would like -- b/c of my daughter's anxiety that a predator will come and eat them. She happened to be the one to find a dead chicken 2 times.
We've since put up a barrier to protect them from aerial predators, but no way can I guarantee a fox won't come and have a meal.
So I keep them out as much as possible, but on some days they do spend a good bit of time in their coop - when no one's home. If hugs and cuddles make up for missed outside time, then we're in good shape. : )
They do have fresh air and indirect sunlight in the coop, just not the space and bugs hat outside affords.
So if I learn that DE in their feed is helpful, I will include it.
Noel
I just don't like the stuff, it is ok as a dust for chicken's but there is much better stuff out on the market. As for putting it in there food, I don't see the point it doesn't work as a wormer and if the feed is stored properly you should get any moisture in the feed so there really isn't a reason to add it to the feed.

I will also add that I have read on BYC that you can dilute Ivermec with water or it can be put in the drinking water, that not correct. Ivermec injectable contains propylene glucol[FONT=arial, sans-serif] which will not mix with water.
If you are going to dilute you use propylene glucol.
[/FONT]

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom