How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Pics
Don't use the flash, light it from the side then you can kind of control where the glare is.

Looks fertile to me, I think.

Is this freshly laid silkie egg fertile?

The roaster was with them for 2 and half weeks. I hope he did his job!

I think so. I prefer to leave the freshly harvested eggs at room temp for another day or two before checking fertility, as the blastodisc will continue to slowly develop and be easier to see.

Or incubate a couple of samples for a few days, that will tell for sure.

Last edited:
Yes, the egg sat on counter for 10 hours or so. Definitely fertile? I did put a few eggs in, I will candle tomorrow and see what I get!

Not fertile?

Fertile?

Ive got no idea? Love heart shaped??

Out of the five eggs i collected two had possible bulls eyes.

Rooster is on his second day being introduced to hens but i havn't seen mating on egg cam...

If i left the eggs for a day or so would i see better evidence?

Last edited:
I agree with your calls on all. Three may have been an early quitter caught very early.

I'd leave the roo in a couple more days, then load up the bator.

Last edited:
I agree with your calls on all. Three may have been an early quitter caught very early.

I'd leave the roo in a couple more days, then load up the bator.

awesome news, i cant beleive it quite honestly. Once my quail are out on saturday ill incubate for my cream legbar X Goldlines

Please, everyone, don't confuse a fertile egg with an incubated one. In mammals who live-bear (like humans), once the egg is fertilized, it begins to develop (we don't lay our eggs outside our bodies but "incubate" in utero).
In chickens, a fertile egg will never have a blastocyst begin to divide cells and grow into an embryo until it is incubated either by a broody hen or an incubator. Even tropical places can not maintain 99 degrees temps long enough to have a fertile chicken egg start developing an embryo. You don't have to refrigerate to stop development. Development won't start until incubation then you can candle to check fertility.
You can only get anything resembling a chicken embryo in your frying pan if you steal the egg from a broody hen (which is pretty hard without getting pecked) or taking an egg out of your incubator to eat it (kind of gross unless you like belut)
Maybe this new interest in homesteading type skills will encourage people to pay attention in science class. Or not.

Back
Top Bottom