How to tell between veins and blood rings?

riverman

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 15, 2010
Central Tx
So i candled my eggs today and one of them has veins that are huge and very easy to see, kinda looks like a blood ring but i cant tell.. Any info will help!

I have not had a lot of blood rings but all of the ones I have had seem to be close to the top of the egg by the air cell and are about 3x the side of a normal vein early in the incubation. I typically do not see any other veining other than the ring around the top of the egg. I have one right now that is a quail egg with a blood ring I just candled it, I tried taking a picture but the camera I have just shows a white egg and nothing more.

Last edited:
IMO the best way to tell is to wait for a couple of days and look again. If it's a dead embryo and a blood ring, it'll just look the exact same. If it's a live chick with veins it'll have developed a bit and it'll look different. If it IS a dead embryo, I don't think leaving it in the bator for a couple extra days will affect the healthy eggs in any way...

Other more experienced hatchers may well have better advice but that's how I do it, cause I'm not always sure exactly what I'm seeing when I candle my eggs. First time I ever incubated (with fairly dark eggs), I was at nearly 14 days before I could see anything through the shells!

Back
Top Bottom