How to Treat Scaly Leg Mites

I'm sure they are....just really want to know how often this happens and what can be observed of the process. We know so much about feather replacement, am just kinda baffled there is not more info around about leg scales.<scratches head>
I just sent an email to a poultry scientist I’m in touch with. I hope he can shed some light on this topic. :fl

Last edited:
I applied Nustock to a rooster with some particularly bad legs one week ago. He'll get another coat tonight. I couldn't believe the difference a day made, although I attributed it to the moisture of the Nustock rather than an instant cure type of job.

I wish I'd have taken before pictures. But, I can get a good idea on how long it takes for new scales to grow in. I'll try to remember to repost when that starts/happens.

On the subject of mites: I used spinosad on my chickens, thank to very sage advice I received from Azygous. I'll never use anything else if I have another outbreak (unless it didn't work, of course). Nustock and spinosad are fairly spendy products, but ease of use and speed (spinosad - one and done) of treating 100+ chickens was well worth it for me. No egg withdrawal helped.

Ivermectin is overused and is losing it’s effectiveness not just for worms but everything.
I use it all the time for lice and it works 100% of the time for them. I've also use it for leg mites and it's worked 100% of the time for them too. For it to work properly, the correct dose needs to be given :D

I agree about the worms, there are lots of poultry worms it doesn't treat.

I’ve seen others birds with scaly leg mites which had already been given iverme
Were they given the correct dose?

Do you know if that bird was incubator hatched? A lot of crooked toes come from incubators.
Look closely at the toe with the long nail. What I'm seeing is a swollen joint, like maybe that joint got infected.

Back
Top Bottom