Howdy from New Mexico!

Rranita

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
My hubby and I operate LeeFran Homestead in a tiny, 84-people village in central New Mexico. We've had chickens for several years (most are rescues), and they are actively protected with two pot-belly pigs. They absolutely love each other.

We did have 94 hens and 7 roosters until last month. Unfotunately, we couldn't figure out what was happening to our flock and what was bloodying our pigs until we stayed up one night and watched from a safe distance. We actually had a pack of seven coyotes come in, somehow squeezed through the fencing (a gap we didn't see alongside the hen house), and before we could fetch our rifles, managed to take four with them wile the rest of the pack distracted the pigs, who were trying desperately to help their feathered friends.

After their last raid we ended up with 16 hens and 4 roosters, but none since then. We fixed the gap in the fence, put down a few of the invaders during their last known attempted raid, and all is once again peaceful and happy. I guess I will not be making baby chicks available for adoption for a little while.

Besides our poultry and pigs, we also have dogs and cats with hopes for a milking goat and some ducks next year. I'm so tickled to have found this site! Thanks so much for letting me join. Am always open for ideas, advice and new friends!

Back
Top Bottom