Huge combs on ISA Browns

Because they do.....not being flippant, but that's the answer. Production bred lines, such as these, have lots of high production genetics bred into the parent stock breeds used for them. Leghorn isn't a primary breed used, because their dominant white does not function the same as silver in the red sex link formula, but the parents stock li es have had leghorn genetics introduced at various points for the production qualities they bring to the table. Red sex links of the proprietary production li es are bred primarily for commercial grown egg producers, so egg volume is a key characteristic they breed for

One of my ISA Browns, Najika, also has a very large comb.
Here's a picture of her from last year -- her comb is even bigger this year, I think:
DSC_5618.JPG

She was also broody when this picture was taken... hence her furious momma glare.

That's the leghorn in them, unless I'm mistaken. Your gals still look a little beat, it may take some more time before they have the energy for laying. What have you been doing to get them into shape?

I had them in a coop by themselves for 2-3 weeks so they could acclimate, reduce stress and of course, in case they were sick. I had to put them in my large coop sooner than I wanted because the door on my small coop broke and I was home by myself with the kids and couldn't go to the store and get the supplies to fix it. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I've just been giving them layer feed with oyster shell, water both with and without electrolytes, some meal worms and grain every few days as a treat. They were eating their eggs the first two days I had them because I'm fairly certain they were starving and dehydrated at the very least because they haven't bothered them after that. I'm considering giving them some antibiotics but I don't want to do that without obvious reasons. If you have any more suggestions that I haven't done already I'd really appreciate it!

My guess would be that their combs are due to the Leghorn genetics coming through.

As far as the laying.. It's possible that stress has caused less laying. It's also possible that they are older spent hens. In Isa Browns (or any Red Sexlink) 1-2 years would be considered old.

The people I bought them from said they were 20 weeks old (but I don't know how much I can trust what they said based on how to they were keeping their hundreds.) They are smaller than my full grown (3+ year old) barred rocks and Wyandotte though.

It's not good to give antibiotics when not needed. So don't worry about those.

I would start them on a higher protein diet with oyster shell for calcium. Skip the layer for now. I'd also add Nutri-drench/Rooster Booster to their water for an added boost of vitamins and minerals too. They look very malnourished. Hearing about the place they came from - I'm sure they are.

Here's a picture of her from last year -- her comb is even bigger this year, I think:
View attachment 2162057
She was also broody when this picture was taken... hence her furious momma glare.

She's beautiful! Mine are white and light golden colored. I'm wondering if that's just juvenile feathering left over or if they are really ISA Brown.
View attachment 2162057

Oh she's beautiful! Mine are white and light golden colored. I'm wondering if that's just they're juvenile feathering that hasn't changed yet or if they really are ISA Brown's. 🤔 I'm still fairly new to the chicken game and I'm not familiar with the breed.

It's not good to give antibiotics when not needed. So don't worry about those.

I would start them on a higher protein diet with oyster shell for calcium. Skip the layer for now. I'd also add Nutri-drench/Rooster Booster to their water for an added boost of vitamins and minerals too. They look very malnourished. Hearing about the place they came from - I'm sure they are.

Thank you! I was planning a trip to the store today for more feed and supplies so I'll add that to my list. 😊

Back
Top Bottom