Huge combs on ISA Browns

Emily2618

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Can anyone explain why these hens have such large combs? I got them from some people who literally had hundreds of them. From what I read, the ISA Brown's are sex link chicks so they should all be females and none of them have sickle feathers or pointed feathers. They are all supposedly over 20wks old, were advertised as "laying hens" but I only get 2 eggs every other day and one on the others so about 10 a week when I think I should be getting almost twice that. Their combs were such a pale pink and floppy when I got them and they were all missing most of their neck feathers and many on their wings and backs too. I've nursed them back quite a bit and their combs were almost completely red and perky but the last few days they're starting to flop some and look lighter. Their wattles aren't all shrivelled up anymore either.

I'm sorry for rambling, just trying to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_122325~2.jpg
    IMG_20200522_122325~2.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 111
You may still see eggs from them and can give them a good life.

I would be giving a chick starter feed or a 20% protein feed and oyster shell on the side.
Lots of time to recover and I think you will see a big difference in them.

Just know that most of us are saying they look much much older than 20 weeks.

Their beaks look a bit short.....like they had been cut back due to pecking/cannibalism. That too tells me they are older and were crowded.

They also look more like red sex links than ISA's to me.

Because they do.....not being flippant, but that's the answer. Production bred lines, such as these, have lots of high production genetics bred into the parent stock breeds used for them. Leghorn isn't a primary breed used, because their dominant white does not function the same as silver in the red sex link formula, but the parents stock li es have had leghorn genetics introduced at various points for the production qualities they bring to the table. Red sex links of the proprietary production li es are bred primarily for commercial grown egg producers, so egg volume is a key characteristic they breed for

Thank you, I'm trying! I felt so bad for them when I saw them, I'd have taken 20 if I could have fit them in the dog crate I brought for transport (which is what the guy suggested.) They literally grabbed them by the necks and threw them in the crate. I was horrified.
I know, it is so sad when people don't treat their animals with care. It makes you want to 1) Treat the owner the way they are treating the animal, and 2) take all the animals home and care for them forever.

It's not good to give antibiotics when not needed. So don't worry about those.

I would start them on a higher protein diet with oyster shell for calcium. Skip the layer for now. I'd also add Nutri-drench/Rooster Booster to their water for an added boost of vitamins and minerals too. They look very malnourished. Hearing about the place they came from - I'm sure they are.

Back
Top Bottom