HUGE hornet's nest

Q9

General Headache
13 Years
Jun 22, 2009
The Sovereign State of NC
There is an enormous hornet's nest in a tree in our front yard, and we have no idea what to do about it. Shooting it down is out of the question, since we live in a neighborhood. Plus, the only real weapon we have is a shotgun, so firing it would scare the living snot out of our neighbors. Any advice on how to take it out?

We use the Raid hornet/Wasp killer in the black can. It kills instantly and shoots a long distance. We have tried several other brands and they do not work, so for us this is the best thing we have found so far. I would stand back a ways, aim, cover the whole nest with the spray, and any that try to come out. They should drop from the air instantly and die. Then wait awhile and knock the nest down.

you know it is funny you mentioned this. We have a hornets nest in our front yard in a big red maple. We never knew it was there until the leaves started coming down. It is almost double the size of a basketball. I have never seen anything like it. It is still active because I see them flying in and out when the sun comes out and warms up a little. I was told that you shouldn't attempt anything until the dead of winter when it's occupants are all dead or hibernating...which ever paper wasps do.

Even with a fully extended ladder we wouldn't be able to reach it so we don't know how we are going to get it down. Maybe calling a tree service is the only option!

Good luck with yours and be careful!!!!!

doesn't a hard freeze kill them off? Or at least immobilize them? If spraying is a problem and the nest is accessible, maybe wait until they're frozen, bag the nest and cut the branch?

Are they aggressive or causing a problem? They are rather beneficial as they prey mostly on other insects. I don't think I would mess with them, they'll die of this winter anyway.

They won't die in the winter unless the cold is excessive. At least, many won't. They do get very lethargic. Flying is about impossible for them once its cold out, and they are completely immobile subfreezing. We take the nests down with a polesaw or applepicker. I think a golfball retriever would work as well. As far as leaving them goes, they're harmless right up until they aren't. You never know what will set them off. We have chickens to keep down the insect population. See if you can find a biology teacher that wants the thing.

I had one that I removed from a buddy's yard some years ago. I took a twelve foot step ladder and went up late in the evening with a big plastic yard waste trash bag. I slipped the bag around the nest and tied it tight at the top, around the tree branch. I then took a pair of prunning shears and cut the branch and carried it down. Since I thought it looked so cool I took it home with me and hung it up in the top of my garage. I bought a few cans of spray varnish and sealed the nest to preserve it. While I was spraying the varnish I did have some Hornets start coming out but I just sprayed them with the varnish as I ran away!

It is best if you can do this when the weather is cool because they will be slow moving at that time.

I would let it go so long as it not causing any harm. They will die off once there are a few frost. The queen falls to the ground and spends the winter hibernating only to reemerge in the spring to start anew, while the workers simply die. Over winter the nest will break apart and fall to the ground.
If you need to get rid of it and you can reach it I would do as suggest earlier. At night, especially a cold one, put a step ladder under it, climb up with a big garbage back, put it around the nest, tie the bag off and snip the branch. Leather gloves would also be a good idea and remember, this is at your own risk.
Place the nest in the freezer, let it go over night then the next day give it to the chickens, they love it. I did this same thing two years ago with minor instances. Let us know what you do and how it works.

Oh, one more thing. If it is indeed a hornets nest, which it sounds like, I doubt anyone would take it since they are of no real use. However if it is honeybees, however unlikely, call your extension office and they should be able to give you the number of a local bee keeper and they would be happy to take it.

Back
Top Bottom