Humidity on giant bobwhite incubation

HunterT

Hatching
Jan 8, 2020
I am having a hard time keeping my Hovabator 1602N (with fan kit) at the right humidity. Target is 55-60%. I’m either at 64 or 50. Having a hard time finding the medium. If I fill the first tray, it hovers at mid 40s. If I fill second tray it goes up to about 50-52. If i add any water to the 3rd tray it goes up to 64%. I’m afraid 64 is too high and will lower my hatch rate. First time incubating, Georgia Giant Bobwhites: Any suggestions?

I am having a hard time keeping my Hovabator 1602N (with fan kit) at the right humidity. Target is 55-60%. I’m either at 64 or 50. Having a hard time finding the medium. If I fill the first tray, it hovers at mid 40s. If I fill second tray it goes up to about 50-52. If i add any water to the 3rd tray it goes up to 64%. I’m afraid 64 is too high and will lower my hatch rate. First time incubating, Georgia Giant Bobwhites: Any suggestions?
I've been doing a "dry" incubation & then at lockdown fill the channels to boost the humidity to about 70% for the last 3 days. I just had 43 Coturnix hatch out of 50 this week doing it this way.

I second dry hatch to lockdown.....most areas of country, it’s best to stay under 45 until lockdown and then at lockdown, your 50-52 may be fine as the act of hatching also raises the humidity. Is your hygrometer calibrated/salt-tested? how about your thermometers? how many accessory thermometers/hygrometers are you using? Never trust the incubator instruments even if brand new out of the box! Good luck with your bobs! you’re welcome to join us in the quail hatch-a-long thread.....

Back
Top Bottom