Thanks. It's very difficult to understand the scale of something from photos, especially if you don't know the area. That's a LARGE area. I know Texas is big, but I've no clue how big the areas within Texas are. You can look at a map and see a dotted place name, but that tells you nothing about how much area that place covers.....

Yes, any encroachment of water into the house can cause a lot of damage, but if the house is otherwise standing, you can "camp out" while repairing or waiting for repairs (obviously depending on how much water has got into what), go back to your job (if your job is still there). What do you do if you've got no house, no car, nowhere local to stay to keep working.... :(

rjohns39, they build houses up north on "stilts", I was surprised when Katrina happened to see that houses in Louisiana are built flat. It's very low-lying isn't it, Louisiana? I suppose it costs more in engineering to do that, and people build what they can afford. After Darwin got flattened by a cyclone, they changed the building standards and the houses up north are now built "better" than they are down here, to withstand cyclones better.

I just hope the people affected don't get jerked around by their insurers and can get it sorted ASAP without further upset from insurers and contractors.
Just in my experience... Some insurers are really good and others not so much. I'm hoping for the best.

Just in my experience... Some insurers are really good and others not so much.
Yes. To be fair, some people try to get more than they are entitled to, so insurers do have to assess all claims thoroughly. It makes it harder when they've suddenly got thousands to get through, the usual claims process will take a lot longer just because of the volume. Even for one of the good insurers.

It's very low-lying isn't it, Louisiana?

Large parts of New Orleans are actually below sea level, and are only prevented from being flooded by a system of levees and pumps. It was a combination of breaching of the levees and failure of the pumps that led to the catastrophic flooding after Katrina.

The possibility of a flood like that has been known about for decades.

Yes, I remember not being as shocked by it happening in Louisiana as I have been about it "getting" Texas. (mind you, I don't know much about any of the involved locations)
I haven't even seen on thing on my news, now that I have TV back up, about the cities/locations...I hate to see the devastation the "eye" locations have.
Been too worried about my own "town."

Pictures please! :lau

It sounds beautiful.
Texas is so flat.

Here are two that I could find quick.

First photo is from the Town Hill Overlook - the spot in the very middle right before the big shadow is my place. The mountain taking up the back is Sideling Hill.

our_house_townhill.jpg

Turning just a little towards the left is the Sideling Hill Mtn Cut - famous for it's syncline fold. The mountain showing on the other side of the cut is (I believe) the northern end of Cacapon Mtn in WV. From my house it's viewable across my road. The road going through the cut is Interstate #68.

sideling_hill_mtn_cut_townhill_overlook.jpg

When and if it ever dries up here, I'll get some better pics from the front yard. :D

You can see Town Hill from the back yard. Again, weather needs to improve to take any.

Back
Top Bottom