Hurricane prep, need advice

Panhandle here - the tornado warnings are coming to us, watching them creep closer one county at a time - and like every time it rains more than an inch, flood warnings everywhere. Unless there are special circumstances (like living in a low spot prone to flooding next to one of the myriad rivers), its "business as usual" for Fl on the outskirts of this thing - no different than any other summer storm, except that we had more warning.

All prayer and concern should be reserved for those closer to the path of this thing in LA and then western AL.

Eagerly awaiting a check in from @topochico225 and a few others.

Hey y'all!

We've got a Cat 2 or 3 hurricane making landfall Sunday and aiming straight for Baton Rouge. Welcome, Ida :barnie I've got an Omlet Eglu with 13ft run and Autodoor for my 3 standard hens and a separate coop/run combo for my 2 POL d'Uccle pullets. Link to their coop page. I'm going to bring all of the chickens inside. I bought big dog crates for just this purpose :hmm What should I do to make sure the coops are shored up as well as they can be during the storm? Hurricane conditions are possible here.

TIA!
Well first off - hope everything is ok - likely you won't be receiving these messages anytime soon, but sure hope your feathered friends made out ok.

Secondly - not sure you would want to leave anything outside in a Cat 2 or 3 hurricane, best advice I can give is to find a concrete and steel structure out of the flood zone to ride out the storm. While we don't get hurricanes here where I am we do get tornadoes and nothing short of concrete and steel is an assured thing against high winds.

Let us all know how you made out when you get the chance - good luck.

Back
Top Bottom