Hurt chick

keng

Hatching
May 31, 2016
I have an 8 day old chick with a growth in the back of her leg (almost like a beak) that is poking her in her rear causing a small open wound. What can I put on the wound ? Should I cut off or file down growth ? She is eating and drinking but is limping around. I have her separated from the others.

I have an 8 day old chick with a growth in the back of her leg (almost like a beak) that is poking her in her rear causing a small open wound. What can I put on the wound ? Should I cut off or file down growth ? She is eating and drinking but is limping around. I have her separated from the others.
keep the area clean use a little newsprint on it for about a week and then just leave it to let the air get to it. Separate her from the rest of the flock to avoid pecking keep her inside and keep flies off the wound. As far as the spike thing you could file it down if it does not bleed . You don't want a second wound there. Is the baby a rooster I think the get little soles on the back of their legs not sure though

keep the area clean use a little neosprin on it for about a week and then just leave it to let the air get to it. Separate her from the rest of the flock to avoid pecking keep her inside and keep flies off the wound. As far as the spike thing you could file it down if it does not bleed . You don't want a second wound there. Is the baby a rooster I think the get little spikes on the back of their legs not sure though[ ad for wound care don't use anything with "Caine" in it its toxic to chicks good luck /quote]

Back
Top Bottom